When might Proofgrade material be back in stock?

Any word on when the store might be back in stock? I definitely understand some of the issues mentioned in other threads (lack of ability to travel, shortages of materials), but, is there a rough estimate on when Proofgrade materials will be available? The last relevant thread I could find was posted back in August, and nothing since then.

Also, could the shortage of materials mean that Glowforge will expand a list of materials that can be used in the GF without compromising the warranty, possibly non-Proofgrade materials?

1 Like

It’s perfectly okay for you to use “laser-safe” materials in your Glowforge now. It doesn’t damage your warranty in any way, BUT…they do not provide support for using those materials if your print doesn’t turn out the way you expect it to. (Other materials might not have the same quality control standards that they use on the Proofgrade materials. So you need to be able to adjust your settings yourself, and understand that they may not cut as well, so buy extra material due to waste.)

If you want specific items like Proofgrade Basswood ply, sign up to be notified by email in the Shop. They just had some come in, but you need to sign up for the specific item if you want the notification…they are getting in little batches as they are available, and they tend to sell out quickly.

3 Likes

check out Etsy. they have Glowforge recommended material

1 Like

There is one caveat to this – if you have a fire with non-PG materials, the warranty may or may not cover the damage. So monitor your cuts and engraves and don’t let the webcam crowd be a bad influence. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks Maggie! Is there a specific vendor you’ve dealt with or just did some random searching?

Thanks!!

Thanks Jules!

1 Like

Yes, my favorite Vendor is zwoodnlaser. HIs prices are average, he ships quickly, and other than the protective covering that is on the Glowforge wood, its the same. I got tired of waiting for wood to be in stock and shopped around, and it is a good buy.

1 Like

Thanks for that reference! Curious - with no protective paper, how are you preventing the burn/scorch marks from being left on the wood?

You can add your own masking.

2 Likes

I have this same question. Looking to Etsy vendors is great, but I still have a large credit for the Proofgrade store.

How? :confused: Masking tape?

You just get yourself a roll of masking. Here’s a thread with a bunch of sources in it:

1 Like

The team has been working hard to get materials in place and I’m sorry you haven’t seen them yet! They haven’t given me a precise date, but I do expect to see more and more materials soon.

Adding to what others have said:

Using non-Proofgrade materials does not void your warranty, but if there is a problem with your materials that damages your Glowforge, the damage caused by your materials would not be covered under the warranty. The full details of the warranty are available at https://glowforge.com/warranty.

And, while you wait for us to replenish: if there’s a Joann near you, they may have the Proofgrade materials you want in stock, and many locations are offering curbside pick-up.

In addition, your Glowforge can print on many materials, as long as the supplier can confirm for you that it is laser-compatible. We’ve heard of customers purchasing at Inventables, Johnson Plastics, TAP Plastics, Lowes, and Home Depot. Please confirm with the supplier you choose to ensure it’s laser-compatible, though, as we aren’t experts on other companies’ products.

2 Likes