When you finally deep clean

It’s so… Shiny now. Nowhere near day 1 type clean but it’s just really nice. I didn’t get any before photos (wouldn’t have been super bad, I light cleaned about a week ago) but still. I can see through the lid again!

I decided I needed to do a deeper clean since I had been engraving a lot of Padauk. Very red stuff xD I’m going to leave the rest of the Padauk engravings until I’m done with everything else so I don’t have to clean again until then.

18 Likes

I always find it so hard to get all the marks off the lid glass, it isnt important at all but creates an itch i need to scratch lol. yours is looking pretty clean :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You’re right, padauk leaves that red shiny hard residue. Engraving it is really messy.

5 Likes

@primal_healer if you saw it in person you could see a couple streaks. But I’m there with you; I only need to clean the window for myself, not for any real purpose haha.

@evansd2 it also creates A LOT of dust on fans. Which I’m fine with more red, it’s my favorite color, but not in my machine. I used the denatuted alcohol you suggested and it worked pretty well. I sloshed a little only a (really old) washcloth and just used my fingers to scrub everything. The fan grill is super annoying but now the fan is pretty clean!

3 Likes

How does it sound after you cleaned the fan? you want to exercise some ocd when cleaning that thing or it will be unbalanced and make some interesting noises lol. For the non essential or sensitive parts of the machine i use some cheap microfiber cloths and either have it lightly damp with water or alcohol depending on the type of mess im working with and where it is.

It sounded fine after the light cleaning I did and after this deep clean it sounded even better. The light clean still had a slight wobble to it but I wasn’t worried because it went away after it was fully up to speed. Now there is no wobble at all. I tried hard to be super delicate but apply enough pressure to clean.

I need to get more microfiber towels in my life. Thanks for reminding me xD I have one itty bitty one that I think was meant for my glasses that I use for the lid camera. I might also get a compressed air can for some of the wired areas of the machine.

2 Likes

I’m kind of surprised no one has made a fan quick release mount yet. Seems like it could be done.

3 Likes

I’m 100% changing the fan once my warranty is gone XD

4 Likes

This is about as good as mine normally looks. Been cleaning it a lot recently as ive been doing full sheets of engraving for christmas ornaments. Need to clean my fan out something bad tho lol, but waiting till my external boost fan shows up so i can install and clean at the same time.

5 Likes

That looks pretty sparkly to me! Cosidering all the work you’ve been putting it through I’d say it looks great C: I hope you share you process of putting it all together. I’d love to see what you end up doing. I have an idea of what I’ll eventually do for my fan but I love seeing what other people come up with.

I only just learned today that there is an itty bitty fan on the camera so that was fun. It was really dirty. And it was the first time I had taken out the lens, so that was interesting as well.

4 Likes

Yeah i always forget about that small fan in the head and it shows lol. If you had seen the :glowforge: before i cleaned it you probably would have thought i had a fire in there :joy: Im going to put one of those cyclone knockouts in line out of the machine then install the boost fan that @eflyguy recommended here In Line Fan - Just Do It down stream of the cyclone. Just want the cyclone so i’m not throwing as many particulates out my window. i had a nice little pile out there when i checked last.

That’s the one I was thinking of too! Good luck C:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.