Where and how to start with glowforge

what i need to know is how do i make a file and what is best to use for this. im not even sure on any of this but i want to learn with your guys patience how to put a file together and figure out how to save it and put it into the glow forge and then print or cut it out. i am not a computer wizard and all i want is easy directions or where to go to learn how to do it,

First, go through the “First Three Prints” Tutorial. Then go to the Tips and Tricks section of the forum and search for Vector files made easy.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s a tall request. Are you slightly familiar with any design programs such as inkscape, affinity, adobe illustrator etc? Do you know how to grab an image off a website and save it? Have you done the basic projects they suggest when you set up the glowforge?

2 Likes

This tutorial on Glowforge’s site will show you how to use free software to make a design for your laser from scratch. It covers using all of the major functions of your Glowforge (cut, score and engrave), how to transfer the design from the software to your Glowforge, and how to print it on your chosen material.

4 Likes

i thankyou all you telling me what to do

1 Like

You will have many questions as you try to make things. We are always happy to help someone enjoy their Glowforge, so don’t be afraid to keeping asking questions and keep reading the forum.

Welcome to the forum! The best advice I can give is be patient with learning. You’ll find that using “search” will be your greatest friend (using the hourglass at the top) to help you find almost any answer you need. Sometimes the wording can be a little difficult to find just want you want, but you will be able to find the answers to many of your questions. But never be afraid to ask either! There are a lot of great designs in the “Free Designs” area - but those are all for personal use or to give as gifts, not to sell what you make from them. Also, another good thing to know is that unless a file is listed in the free designs, it’s Glowforge policy not to ask someone to provide a file. Just knowing that will save you a lot of aggravation. :slight_smile: You will find such a tremendous amount of wonderful, helpful people here, and we can’t wait to see what you do with your new Glowforge, so be sure to share!!

1 Like

Hi Ken,

Glowforge is compatible with JPG, PNG, SVG, PDF, and other file formats. You can create Glowforge-compatible files from a variety of different software platforms like Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, CorelDraw, Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, Autodesk Fusion 360, & Sketchup. To print a file, just drag-and-drop it directly on our app, which appears as a web page in your browser. There, it will automatically interpret them (engraving bitmaps, cutting lines) and show you a preview of the results. You can drag the images around on your material to position them where you want them. If you’re not happy with the defaults, you can also manually adjust settings like speed and power.