While I(We) Wait

I just inherited this metal shear from my neighbor, and after cleaning it up a little bit I discovered that it did indeed have ruler markings.

I’m torn between sandblasting it completely clean, or keeping the patina.

19 Likes

OMG, that patina is earned! Keep it!

7 Likes

Geez…nice neighbor!!!

3 Likes

He has to vacate his location, and has nowhere to put it, so I may just be saving from it from going to scrap. Works like a champ, and useful for me to have. Might have to find space for that paper shear too, just to save it. Don’t know if I could really use it, maybe.
But wow… it is a big, heavy thing.

4 Likes

Nice!

If the mirror hadn’t been cracked though you could have mounted it on the wall, and the reflection would have created a full Tardis both in and out of this dimension!

2 Likes

Another vote for the patina. (You can probably bring it down enough so it doesn’t soil anything but still looks great)

1 Like

I will be doing a lot of wood turning this summer and fall, making gifts for the family and friends for the holidays. My original plans had some 'forged items being made, but making turned items was my plan B.

I thought I’d share a picture of some of my recent stuff, since I mentioned my turning in another thread. The bowl is store-bought maple and mahogany. The other items are made of hackberry, cedar, ash, redbud and chinese tallow the I found around my local area.

28 Likes

Ooooo, nice! Such wonderful grain.

1 Like

:heart_eyes: Those are gorgeous.

1 Like

Those really are gorgeous. Turning wood lets you make & finish on the same tool and the finishes turn out wonderfully. Your work shows that.

1 Like

I love that bowl. Almost looks woven!

1 Like

OMG nooooo! Don’t remove the patina!! All the past blood, sweat and tears would be forever lost. I mean really, who needs shiny new anyway?

1 Like

i say patina is overrated; unless you’re preserving value, you should treat it however best fits your house.

4 Likes

Restore it, I would repaint and shine that baby up like it was new.

3 Likes

Interesting to see the stark opposite opinions on this…I wonder if its the logic verses art conflict.
I’m generally logical but have been trying to immerse myself into the artistic side since I work with alot of artist…its weird for me to try to ignore patterns and order in everything and to try to just let things flow…
I’m torn…I like the patina but I think I would restore it too…lol

7 Likes

agree to an extent.

it just depends on me. a really amazing 200 year old table? patina all the way. i think this though could be a really nice functional piece that would probably be better served with a protective coat.

3 Likes

To me, you can restore this to new condition, but to what end? When you use it, it will quickly look used again and it’s just another hunk-O’-metal tool. Or, you can get it/keep it in a functioning state while preserving all the history and still use it just the same. If restored, it would take you 100 years to get that authentic patina again. Some old things are just boring old things, but things like this are almost functioning art pieces. I know it’s crazy sentimental, but I love running my hands along these things and think of all the hands that used it before me.

3 Likes

For some people, this is why they carry hand sanitizer. :wink:

Could there be a balance? Some cleaning associated with making it optimally functional while leaving the rest original? Like how cleaning it a bit revealed the ruler markings. Maybe cleaning up the manufacturer’s name or something, too.

4 Likes

I know I have a Glowforge to keep me busy while waiting for a Glowforge, but I’m getting my payout for my totaled car, and picked up a few extra $$$ for some weddings and funerals so in a fit of excitement from the enlarged bed size of the Glowforge on Friday, I decided to pull the trigger on a 3D printer. Make Magazine’s 3D printer coverage over the years has been what got my attention about digital fabrication. Was ready to go with a Makerbot and then everything switched with them. Then was ready for a CNC XCarve and then the Glowforge appeared.

With the Glowforge and the 3D printer I should be able to finally finish the CNC router I have the parts for. Of course, now I have to wait for the Prusa since they have a six to seven week lead time. Feel free to congratulate me or throw me some shade for getting this particular printer. It should be a good introduction to the world of extruded plastic. Seems like the company is robust and reliable and has a great user community developed for added value.

17 Likes

I’m looking forward to what you do with it and your impressions after using it for a while.

2 Likes