Why are pre-order Glowforges not for resale on ebay?

Also says item is a 3D Printer, and that it is located in Seattle.

2 Likes

In the fine print from Glowforge, you have to specifically agree not to resell the machine. That is in the acceptance to ship verbiage.

ever?

Not sure about that.

Can you give us the wording they used?

If I can get back to that page I will. No luck so far and I did not print it out at the time.

If you can’t easily get a copy (after the fact, not just before you find out that it’s lost forever) of the agreement then it’s not likely enforceable. Further, there’s an awful lot of property law that would get in the way of that kind of restriction - it wouldn’t seem that GF could have rights that supersede the normal property rights individuals have to something they’ve bought. Different if it were a rental or lease or license.

Even the license to the cloud app probably can’t be constrained by GF to impair the ability to sell the unit. Lots of companies tried that kind of thing in the past and lost in court.

**All US law by the way, no clue as to how merchantability and property laws might work in other countries.

3 Likes

Gosh Darn it! My :heartbeat: just skipped a beat! I saw an email with glowforge in the title but it was eBay asking if I wanted another look at this stupid listing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::cry:

10 Likes

omg im so sorry

1 Like

You can absolutely resell your Glowforge. You can also transfer ownership to a different glowforge.com account (the buyer’s) if you resell. You can’t transfer ownership of your Glowforge.com account, though, so e.g. founder status is not transferable.

20 Likes

More than reasonable. Although once you have one it’s hard to see someone selling it. Maybe it becomes the gateway drug to bigger lasers but you always keep your first :grinning:

5 Likes

I must have misread that section of the agreement. Sorry to have added confusion.

1 Like