Why are SVG's no longer working

After more than 2 years of working on my Glowforge Plus and prepping files pretty much the same way all that time (building vector files in Illustrator and saving them as SVG’s), I seem to have nothing but issues with them since the launch or the smaller GF machines.

Are there new file settings or is this just the new GlowForge business model? If it’s settings, can we please have them clearly posted somewhere other than in community discussions?

Thanks from an extremely frustrated Glowforge user.

Your post is extraordinarily vague. SVGs absolutely are working, so maybe you could give an example of an issue you’re having, and ideally a sample file. Then folks would have a shot at being able to help.

5 Likes

so there are no new setting for files or SVG file issues?

I am simply looking for the preferred setting for vector files created in Adobe Illustrator. The issues stem from the SVG files. The SVG 1.1 have been importing at a reduced scale while the SVG 1.0 will have a higher than average number of errors in the print that are not present in the file.

Hope that helps? I’m not a fan of sharing my work/files. But I’m also less of a fan of having my GF sit and collect dust rather than make it. Thanks

I think you should blame Adobe Illustrator for changing the default settings for SVG exports. It is probably reverted back to responsive SVG (for web design).

10 Likes

Ah yes. Adobe did an update that turned “responsive” back on, and then hid it 2 menus down.
If you can’t find that setting, let us know and we can dig up one of the posts where people posted screenshots.

Nothing at all to do with :glowforge:

The has been a stray lines issue on vector engraves, but I believe they’ve already rolled out the fix to that.

6 Likes

I wish that was helpful.

Was that not the problem?

1 Like

the request was for the settings. Y’all haven’t given me information that helps me resolve my problem. You tell me to “blame” adobe which doesn’t help or resolve the issue with how to save a file. It’s also doesn’t help to weigh in with a recommendation of searching the archive for a random screenshot that’s out of date. So I’m not clear on what problem we’re referring to any more…

Thanks from an even more frustrated Glowforge user.

8 Likes

Thank you for posting that. Those were close to the setting I was using a month ago. Only the decimal place was set at 5. That quit working and I started trying other things with different results.

The file came in correctly and seems to be running without any extra lines… so far. Fingers crossed.

Thanks from a much less stressed human

1 Like

and yet another user would be pissy that we didn’t just say “go check your responsive setting” and instead babied them. You seemed like you knew your away around Adobe so we told you what you needed to do without any hand holding.

You’re welcome.

6 Likes

This caught me this week too. Wish they wouldn’t change defaults.

1 Like