Why are these edges bumpy, rather that smooth?

I’ve cut this file before in proofgrade plywoods and in mdf - always smooth edges.
I just cut these in proofgrade maple and mdf and now they are bumpy.
I just cleaned all the fans 2 days ago, as well as, lens.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You need to give a close inspection to your wheels and belt tension. Also look for debris on the belts.

3 Likes

Thanks ! will do

1 Like

So… I tried blowing out debris and looking at the wheels to the print head - no difference. When you say belt tension are you talking belt that moves the print head or the side belts that move the carriage from back to front?

1 Like

Yes - check both. The best way is to turn the machine off and very slowly move the belts back and forth and see if you feel any hitching anywhere.

1 Like

Which method did you use to clean the air assist fan? The Glowforge recommended method where you roll the belt off, or the method where people say to loosen the belt?

1 Like

I tried to loosen the belt with the recommend allen wrench, but it would not budge. Then I rolled it off as in Glowforge tutorial

1 Like

ALWAYS follow the Glowforge recommendations. YouTube can get you in trouble on these things. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @cyvonneh! I’m sorry to see that you are getting some unexpected print results. As a first step, I’d like to get a closer look at your carriage plate. Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge

2. Remove the carriage plate from the laser arm

3. Closely inspect the carriage plate wheels from the top for any cracks or other damage

4. Closely inspect the sides of the wheels for any cracks or other damage

5. Please take photos and attach them to your reply.

Once I get the photos, I will follow up with the next steps!

Attachments

Thank you - here’s the photos

Hi @cyvonneh - thanks for sharing those photos with us.

After taking a close look, I believe there might be a bit of splitting going on on this rear wheel:

This could be the cause of these small bumps you’re seeing in your prints, and if that’s the case, the issue isn’t likely to improve. These rear wheels aren’t an item we can spot replace at the moment, so I’d like to get you set up with a replacement carriage plate so we can clear up this printing trouble.

I see you’ve emailed us as well about this issue, so I’m going to go ahead and follow up in that email thread to collect some more info from you to get this ball rolling.

Since we’ll be moving to email I’m going to go ahead and close this topic, but feel free to follow up via that email with any questions you may have. Thanks!

1 Like