Why aren’t we getting any perks for having to wait for our filters?

Wait a minute! Is it called GLOWforge because it’s radioactive? I might cancel.

3 Likes

Questions are will the glowforge even work with just a hose going outside to a below freezing temp conduit attached to the glowforge.

2 Likes

Thank you Jules for a real answer

1 Like

I’m gonna have to give you another one…I’m not sure. I mean, I’d think it would work fine as long as the machine was running, but you might have to disconnect it at night to keep the ambient temp from dropping around the machine in the room.

They do make quick connects though, that just let you screw off the hose…it’s probably manageable.

They are trying to pull together some of the venting solutions into one place elsewhere on the forum, for those who are having to rethink the need for a vent. (They’re all in the Beyond the Manual Category.) Let them get that pulled together (I’ve got to go out to a dinner) and later (or tomorrow) it should be available.

3 Likes

I have not been nasty to you. Why are you being such a bully. I thought glowforge users were a helpful group . As a newbie I asked a technical question. I didn’t need to see a picture of a hose out a window. I am not an idiot but needed to know if I need a fan, will the fumes come back into the house and things like that. I am a retired teacher and the majority of you who had a good laugh at my expense are nothing but bullies. If you don’t have a real legit answer just skip this post!

4 Likes

Not trying to attack you, but I personally would have instinctively taken your first response as an attack given he was just trying to be helpful. Now as to the rest of the postings on here, I think they were just trying to make light of the situation we’re all in (the lack of an air filter)

7 Likes

As a general rule you don’t get ahead here by calling people names.

3 Likes

@jbmanning5 gave you a valid solution that (unfortunately) wouldn’t work for you. Instead of saying “thanks for trying” you said “thanks for no help”. I’ll be honest – I was shocked to read that. Every other post of yours I’ve read has been positive, so I have to assume that you took his response as condescending. I certainly didn’t read it that way, and I’m pretty sure he didn’t mean it that way either.

6 Likes

I sent him a personal apology. But not to the rest of the bullies

2 Likes

The point is that venting can be simple. Or, it can be difficult. It’s your choice dictated by whatever you feel your needs are. That isn’t a picture that I took to make fun of you. When I want to use my Glowforge, I open my window, stick the hose out and blow wonderful walnut smoke across a bed of rambunctious yellow jessamine. The flowers are alive - more than ever. I’m alive, probably a little less than yesterday - but that’s life.

6 Likes

I made a circle cutout of a piece of scrap wood with a jig saw and attached a dryer vent to it. It works okay, but is not sealed very well and doesn’t have a blast gate, so I probably won’t leave it in the window all through the winter.

I think @Jules idea is a good fix. Foam is super easy to cut and would work well. Just put it in the window when you use it, take it out when you are done.

For what it’s worth, I wasn’t trying to bully you. @jbmanning5 responded to your post with light-hearted humor instead of anger and I responded to him in support. I’m sorry if you took that as bullying – that wasn’t the intent.

2 Likes

I just read through the thread again and… chuckled again.

I was being serious about Meat Eater. It’s a great show.

As to @pam4arts, this forum is incredible in several facets- the total breadth of knowledge here is unlike anything I have ever seen. The willingness of folks to help one another and spend cumulative hours doing so, is also unlike almost anywhere you will find.

I’m sure if you post some details about your scenario, someone will offer some solutions.

4 Likes

This varies a lot from person to person, as well as depending on local conditions.

Most smells don’t bother me much, so sticking a hose out the window is fine for me. That being said, I don’t plan on cutting things like leather or bone until sometime next year when my filter comes. But I think I’ll be able to live with just working with wood/acrylic/cloth/stone/aluminum/glass for the first six months or so that I have my Glowforge. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use two layers of 1 inch celotex with edges taped tightly with duct tape. I have a plug to put into the hole at night when it is cold. You don’t want to allow freezing air to come back into the Glowforge so some type of blast gate at least, but better quick disconnect and a plug.

2 Likes

Hi pam4arts,
I think perks for the wait on the filter sounds like a good idea. Not sure Glowforge will go for it, but it does sound good. Honestly, given the track record I suspect that they will miss the deadline on the filter. I base this on information found in the forum and the fact that they seem to market then develop a product. There are other filters out there that you can buy that are in the same price level, I might follow that path myself, if they announce a second delay. I like the fact that the filter has the same style as the Glowforge, but if they miss again I will either build my own or buy the ones used for solder stations. Oh you can use a solid foam board from home depot and cut out a circle and place a vent inside. If you have a double hung like in the picture below. You can get the window tight and sealed plus have an insulated connector that can be removed when not in use. Ignor the filter I have in the picture its just my design I don’t think Glowforge is going for a 4 stage filter.

I just posted this in another thread. Hopefully it’s helpful for you @pam4arts.
https://community.glowforge.com/t/diy-window-exhaust-vent/12162/28?u=tbelhumer

Oh, and forgive me but no matter how many times I see your screen name I still read it as pam farts, just can’t get past that. :innocent::blush:

6 Likes

Thanks

My husband made this for our air conditioner. Its clear plexiglass. We have the type of window that has a bug screen. We just remove the screen and put the plexiglass in its place We plan making the same thing to vent the laser.

Yes, we are lazy and leave that in all year long

It’s funny, people wondered why we’d cut our glass window

11 Likes

Easy or not, venting directly into an apartment courtyard is a no-go for me. The filter was one of the main selling points - I think she makes a fair point that for those of us ordering the filter, the sale is incomplete until we take possession of both parts.

2 Likes