Wifi Range Extender and Connection Issues

My GF has been working fine on our wifi, but we’ve had some range issues around the house so we recently installed a range extender. The wifi account and password remained the same, so we didn’t have to do anything on our devices. However, when I turned on the GF for the first time, it remained offline. I tried to reset the connection it a few times via the teal button, but it wouldn’t re-connect to our wifi. Finally I unplugged the range extender and voila, I was able to reestablish the connection. Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot?

Someone has recently posted a very similar problem, possibly exactly the same.
Can’t remember the setting, but they had an alternative to ‘range extender’ setting on their device which sounded similar but solved the problem when they tried that.
Sorry I can’t come up with the alternative, but no doubt someone will, if you don’t find it yourself !

John :upside_down_face:

EDIT might have involved the word ‘network’.

1 Like

This one?

3 Likes

Yes, that’s it. Thanks g2n.

We change the wifi extender to a wifi range extender (a little diference that makes the magic).
The range extender, as opposed to the wifi extender, don’t create a new wifi, only reinforce the original wifi signal.

Hope that does it for the OP.

Now back to my packing. Flying over Wednesday :fireworks::fireworks:
John :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you ran into trouble. Thanks for letting me know that you’re still able to connect to the primary router without the range extender.

Here are two things I recommend checking first:

1. As mentioned above (thanks, @geek2nurse and @johnbrooker!), your range extender should have a few different operation modes it can be configured to use. The names of these modes may vary based on brand and model, but look for the “Wi-Fi Range Extender” option and select it before trying again.

2. Some range extenders may require you to specify which band you want to enable. Make sure that 2.4GHz Wi-Fi is enabled, since this is the band that your Glowforge uses.

I hope this helps. If you’re still having trouble, could you please let me know the make and model of the Wi-Fi range extender you’re using? Thanks!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.