Wire inlay, examples and technique

The electronics, I’m not worried about. The bigger concern for me is actually building the box so that everything’s well hidden, pretty, and exciting. The original was a work of art, so I want to do it justice.

4 Likes

Can you get a picture of this box…we read of ? :thumbsup:

IIRC the electronics involve some kind of transformer, because a) ordinary batteries don’t have enough voltage to notice and b) a single discharge through the person poses all kinds of safety and efficacy issues. A high-voltage AC voltage at infinitesimal current tickles the nerve endings without doing much else. (As long as you make sure of that “infinitesimal” thing.)

If you had a yen for electronics, you could also use an inlay pattern (at much lower voltage) as a set of capacitive sensors to detect where someone was touching the box and trigger lights or sounds or a locking/unlocking mechanism. (Hmm, maybe I can reuse one of the radio-controlled button-pushing circuits I built a while back.)

1 Like

You could always rig up a “safe” version which only makes the sound and vibration like a shock. Similar to a joy-buzzer or the rattlesnake eggs in envelope gag idea.

1 Like

“safe”?
I don’t follow. :grin:

But yes, that would be neat. You could certainly use a relay on the wires so that you complete the circuit without giving yourself a noticeable shock. Then you could use the method to make the box light up or play music when it was picked up.

2 Likes

OK it has been a few days and I’m still practicing copper wire inlay to pass the time until I get my Glowforge. I’m hoping I will be able to Glowforge the inlay channels on my projects. Here are a few more of my practice items. On the tulip project I glued a free carpet sample that I got from Home Depot and makes a great scratch guard.

22 Likes

Looking good!
Keep practicing and by the time you get your Glowforge you won’t even need it. :grin:

9 Likes

I have been thinking about your statement and your absolutely right and therefore I’m cancelling out my Glowforge order. Not, just kidding. I’m looking forward to the day that I get it and hopefully I can put it through the tasks.

5 Likes

I decided to do a Celtic Knot and then I made a paperweight out of it by attaching a sample of marble tile from Floor & Decor

23 Likes

Gorgeous!

1 Like

I love it! And now that you have mastered the making of the slots, you could try inlaying other materials, like that cool fluorescent resin I’ve seen on tables and such.

2 Likes

I have seen the fluorescent resin inlay on you tube & I would eventually like to try that plus other resin inlay such as turquoise. Possibilities are endless.

1 Like

Oh very nice!! I’ve yet to try this technique…looks like youve gotten it down well!! Its beautiful.

2 Likes

Thank You,

Rod

1 Like

Very nice!!

2 Likes

Thank you,

Rod

2 Likes