WOO! I've never been so excited for an email

Congratulations all around!! Please be safe from Irma! Cant wait to see what you make soon !!:smile:

2 Likes

Update: Hurricane shutters are up. yay

10 Likes

You should not be! :no_mouth:

(Seriously, i hope you guys all stay safe through this.):frowning:

4 Likes

keeping a close eye on it. if it looks to definitely head more towards us, we’re prepared to rent a car and head out (would drive ours, but since the water pump is going and we can’t go over 50, figured that would be the better option - of course if it’s too late to rent our car will still get us out of the state before we get hit). With all of the repairs, our house will hold up and we’re in a zone x minimal risk flood zone (though when it rains for a week straight you would never believe it… my poor sued wingtips…:disappointed_relieved:)

Edit: Actually, we talked about it some more and we decided that we really want to go to WV for the weekend regardless lol

8 Likes

Good! I hear it’s lovely this time of year. :sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

Even through we aren’t in the immediate path we have people here in the panhandle freaking out getting into fights over bottled water and pulling knives on each other at gas stations but, I’m sure once this storm passes relief groups will be ready to offer support were it is needed. That being said we still have a lot of individuals in the country that will take every opportunity to make a buck from those effected by these storms. So hang in there and with any luck you’ll come through this relatively un-scathed.

3 Likes

we’ll be fine one way or the other :slight_smile:

My main concern is friends and relatives that aren’t taking it seriously at all. sigh. Oh and fellow employees. Just because we haven’t gotten hit in a while doesn’t mean we won’t. Of course, with a two-and-a-half-year old and a future wife, it’s amazing how much more you think about things that might happen (not necessarily worrying)

7 Likes

The Times-Picayune in New Orleans the day after Katrina hit had a headline that said “We dodged a bullet”. The news had people crowing about not evacuating and being just ducky fine.

Then the levees went and Ponchatrain was in their front yard and it was too late.

4 Likes

That is a great GIF, you need to read teh story behind it.

1 Like

Story in the paper of a woman vacationing in the virgins and couldn’t get out before the storm, and is heading back home to FL. just in time to be under the same storm again. She just couldn’t believe the timing.

4 Likes

Glad to hear you got your email. Hope you’re able to get out of Irma’s way. I hear it pretty frantic in Florida right now, gas stations out of gas, traffic, etc. My thoughts are with everyone in the area and with people with loved ones in the path.

1 Like

Fake Gif :smiley:

We’re visiting relatives in WV - just made it as of 2:35 AM. Leaving Florida certainly does take a lot longer when you have to stop at every single gas station to check if they still have gas. I made the decision to not go by I-75. we had friends who left at about the same time, and they were in bumper-to-bumper traffic for 10 hrs just to leave florida. We beat them by a long shot by taking the long way round 'cause we ddn’t run into any traffic. Hurricane shifted steadily westward throughout the day so now it is forcast to hit our county dead-on. Relatives who were saying we were stupid for leaving are now scared that they aren’t going to be able to find shelter. Odd how in true told-you-so moments, it’s almost never appropriate to do so… We’re wishing everyone back home the best

11 Likes

So glad you are in a place of safety!

Truer words never spoken…

5 Likes

Really glad you got your family out of there. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

4 Likes

Excellent! Good call man. Glad your crew are safe! I hope there is some place to put your glowforge when you return. I remember how you poured yourself into redoing the house. Hoping for the best.

2 Likes

Sigh… Yeah. on the bright side, I’ll probably be surpassing code rules and updating some things…

2 Likes

I never understand why in evacs everyone seems to head for the interstates and don’t just take the long way round. Especially when you know the highways are bumper to bumper. Sure, the back roads aren’t direct but they got people around the country for decades before the interstates took over. And a GPS usually has a setting for “no highways”.

4 Likes

Glad you and your family are safely out of Florida. Thoughts and prayers will continue for everyone seeking safety through this hurricane season, wildfire season, earthquakes, and every thing else.

2 Likes

So glad you decided to leave! I really wish my family would’ve left before we got caught in Andrew. That was an awful 6 months.

2 Likes