WOO! I've never been so excited for an email

indeed. I would pick deserted backroad over bumper kissing stupid drivers anyday :wink:

3 Likes

Just got my e-mail!!! For those keeping score, I am a pro model order, and I ordered the afternoon of the first day, so theyā€™re probably getting close to the end of day one! I am notorious at checking tracking on any purchase, this is going to get real bad!

21 Likes

Congratulations! :grinning::balloon::sparkles::tada::confetti_ball::boom:

3 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

We just got back from WV - All the stuff I built is perfectly fine image and we still have power.

I have to repair the neighbors fence, the gate, and cleanup (and check for long term damage), but all in all looks good :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Oh, I am so glad! Dealing with a downed fence is definitely doable! :grinning::+1:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Awesome news that your builds are fine :smile::smile: the other stuff, hopefully an easy fix.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: should be. I still have a monstrous to-do list, but that was pre-Irma lol

5 Likes

That is GREAT!! So happy for you man, you definitely didnā€™t need rebuilding your house dropped in your lap. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I agree :relieved:

As additional good news, I picked up my parents old Victor Victrola Cabinet while we were up there and their old records. Now to just get some records of my own and a few packs of steel needles :smiley:
(this isnā€™t the actual cabinet - Iā€™ll have to take an official picture later)

12 Likes

You must be so excited! ā€¦ I am still waiting for that feeling!

Congrats! stay safe. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you snagged any spoken/voice-acted radio show vinyl, and want to sell them, please let me know.

Stuff like Batman, Buck Rogers, Calling All Cars, The Cisco Kid, Dick Tracey, Gunsmoke, Lone Ranger, The Mel Blanc Show, Space Patrol, Terry and the Piratesā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll keep an eye out, but If I did find some Iā€™d be heavily inclined to keep and listen to them - Family and friends call it hoarding, I call it appreciationā€¦

10 Likes

update on the Victrola: worked for the first hour, but (not having been played in probably 27 years) I believe the main spring went (no, I did not over crank it lol) because the record I put in played like a musical chipmunk for about a minute and now canā€™t give enough oomph to spin the record with the needle down. Just slows down to a stop. Sigh :slight_smile: one more project lol

6 Likes

I know absolutely nothing about these machines, but logic suggests from your description that itā€™s a speed governor issue. If the mainspring had gone, I would not expect it to play at all.
Just my :upside_down_face: view.
John

2 Likes

I had a wind up record player when I was a kid. The main spring did break and John is correct in saying it would not play at all.

My dad was able to fix it because one of his hobbies was repairing clocks and watches. The spring broke at one end where it was bent into a hook shape to anchor it. My dad softened the new end by heating it red hot and letting it cool slowly. He then bent it to form a new hook before hardening it again by heating red hot and cooling it quickly in oil IIRC.

To get it back into the barrel he made a spiral of nails sticking out of a block of wood. He used that to compress it smaller than the barrel by winding it around the spiral.

There is a lot of energy in the spring so it is quite dangerous removing it from the barrel. I think he wrapped it in blanket before releasing it.

Anyway you probably donā€™t need to know all that as it seems like the governor is faulty. I think they are a centrifugal device that operates a break.

3 Likes

I completely agree, and the speed governor (not that I knew it was called that lol) did cross my mind to replace as well, but I wonā€™t rule the main spring out either. I would imagine that the spring can go bad without breaking necessarily. If I remember correctly, I remember seeing a ā€˜badā€™ spring as the cause of a number of issues. Iā€™ll gently take it apart and figure out what the issue is.

1 Like

Does the spring slip if you wind it tighter? One of mine broke at the hub. Would still wind and barely drive the platter but wasnā€™t fixed enough to run at speed. Havenā€™t seen a weak spring by itself.

3 Likes

It isnā€™t going to lose springiness suddenly unless it breaks. If it breaks at the outside I can imagine it would grip the barrel a bit by friction and allow it to slightly wound as @rpegg says. If that was the case when you wind it you will be able to wind forever without the tension increasing much and it will only play for a short time before stopping.

3 Likes