Wooden “Damascus” Bowie knife

I’m going to pick the wrong Bowie here and just say Let’s Dance!

You know all that special wood you keep around for a rainy day? Well it’s raining really hard (So to speak) so now is the perfect time.

The handle is figured black walnut and spalted maple with mahogany pins. The blade is highly figured big leaf maple, which i got from Kimball Hardwoods. I think the effect is vaguely Damascus-like, and I think it turned out really nicely. Check out the video to see how the patterns swim and shimmer as you change angles.

This is a part of my series of knives and swords, lots of the techniques are discussed in my other posts about them:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=%40evansd2%20in%3Afirst%20sword%20%23glowforge-project-examples

Overall length: 15”.

32 Likes

Great choice in materials, if you were to put an edge on the blade i bet it would add some more depth to the figured maple

2 Likes

It’s hard to see but there is an edge to it, I tapered it down a bit. It isn’t sharp by any stretch, but it’s definitely there. It lends a feeling of some authenticity to it in person, it’s immediately noticeable in hand.

2 Likes

That maple is very tasty! Nice choice.

2 Likes

Nice, and I love the bird singing in the video.

2 Likes

I have fond memories of a Bowie knife received for some childhood birthday… Something about that size and heft is appealing. It wasn’t Damascus steel, that’s for sure!

Nice work taking full advantage of that figured wood!

4 Likes

:heart: the figured maple. I get your Damascus connection. I am trying to picture the heat treatment of this knife. The quench figures very importantly.

2 Likes

Amazing! So beautiful!

2 Likes

Holy crepe… that is gorgeous!

1 Like