Word clock based on cheaper led matrix

Oddly, these sold well for Christmas time but have not moved nearly as quickly this week. I think the price points are different for what is a casual gift.

1 Like

Love the heart one.

Are there some simple plans for a newbie like me to figure out? lol reading all this was confusing for me… like a simple how to program and what I need to buy to make the computer portion? and can i just copy the picture then transfer to my design program or is their a Zip of the clock file? thanks in a dance

2 Likes

if you need any help, just ask. many things to learn here, but each one is not that hard. the adafruit link is a great starting point.

Thanks Eleyguy, your more help!

1 Like

The latest in a long evolution. Background colors are adjustable as none, 8 different solid colors, and rainbow ( as shown). This one has a solid wood face, others use clear acrylic with paper layer as letter mask.

4 Likes

Except for the mount for the circuit board, this goes together without glue.

1 Like

More clocks, headed to the gallery for what i hope is a good holiday season.
The trim plates on the these are also glued on.
The wood stain is alcohol based. I use the “heads” from my home brandy production for the stain base.

10 Likes

These are just as cool and amazing as the first time I saw them. Wishing you lots of sales!

4 Likes

Still fascinated by these. Hope you sell the lot.

3 Likes

I think your clocks are great and they are unique. I believe that they will be very popular.

2 Likes

They should fly out of the store! I know I tend to be blasé about my own stuff after awhile, but we shouldn’t really!

1 Like

Tried the Black LED acrylic from Tap plastics as a faceplate. Smooth side out with no other diffuser gives a nice neon look.

11 Likes

Very nice. I love the black led acrylic from Tap.

Working to update my largest size to use this. That means doubling the # of LEDS to get sufficient brightness and changing up the masking layers and frame. Almost done with the design. Plastics on order.

the word clock saga continues.

Three sizes of square all with the black led acrylic from Tap plastics.

These are based on 8 x 8 matrix, 16 x 16 matrix or 4 x 16 x 16 matrix.

And the latest, still in prototype stage, a vertical model with a floating wall mount.

this one is still evolving

video here

12 Likes

Nice way to watch the time pass.

3 Likes

:rofl::+1:

What’s the long-term accuracy of an arduino-based clock?

I’ve had a BCD clock for a couple of decades and it’s the only one I use at-home. The issue is, all the LED’s are red so it often takes a few seconds to decode it.

I’ve thought of making one myself using the RGB matrix LEDs, and (of course) the GF for the housing. Different colors for H/M/S and the bits would different as well.

For reference, the one I have is accurate to just a few seconds per year.