Workflow for engrave, cut, score

For those wondering how to get started, and how it works, and how you get results, and what your files need to start out with…

Continuing the discussion from

I design starting with a 12x20 artboard because that’s the bed of the Glowforge, though it isn’t currently the full cutting and engraving area. Others use that as the artboard to begin.

When I’m ready to cut, I save my file as an svg. It is a good workflow.

I shared a free file a little while ago, and it is a reasonable illustration.

There are 4 colors in the image, plus instructions.

First, as you import into the GFUI (say in your head, “guhfooey.”) the GFUI will throw up a warning: it doesn’t process text, so it didn’t even put the instructions in. It did put in the blue “FRAGILE” marks, though, because I converted that text to a graphic.

Second:
In the GFUI there will be 4 steps on the side.The cuts correspond to colors in the design.

Some of my lines are intended as scores rather than cuts. You convert them in the GFUI, and you can also re-order the steps.

You can rotate, drag, scale, and otherwise adjust where the file will cut on your material. Here I have unmasked baltic birch, but I find that the medium proofgrade maple settings are a good start for me, and I adjust settings on each cut, engrave, or score from that starting place.

Third:
click the word “print” by the picture of the glowing button. (why doesn’t the circle do the same thing?)

Wait for a couple minutes while the cloud turns your design into instructions for the Glowforge.

Fourth:
Push the glowing button.

@marmak3261 identified the GFUI default cut order based on colors. I might save some effort by planning my design and getting my colors in order so I don’t need to drag my steps around.

As you are designing and planning, though, that workflow should at least get you started with what to expect.

44 Likes

Nice! Added to the Matrix. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Darn you! Up till now when I saw GFUI I read “Glowforge User Interface” as intended.
From now on I will forever see

8 Likes

Now that I’ve figured out how to use this thing my way (bumbling around and discovering) I really need to go get some tutorials and learn how to improve my workflows and do things the slicker and easier way.

:slight_smile:

My little step-by-step is redundant.

2 Likes

No, little step-by-steps are always appreciated. Different people relate to different levels of explanation. :grinning:

3 Likes

pic of finished product:

18 Likes

…and I was thinking “frajeeelaaay”.

5 Likes

Of course you could use CorelDraw to create your SVG - it will automatically create curves/paths for any text but leave the text as a text object in the CDR file for future modification :wink:

5 Likes

This is amazeballs. Thank you.

guhfooey.

-TN

3 Likes

Bless you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Whoa. That’s cool.

is that Italian?

2 Likes

Yay team Corel :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I feel bad for all those AI or Inkscape users who have to remember to convert to paths/curves before saving and then can’t go back and fix the typo without redoing the whole entire process again :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yep! https://youtu.be/lR29zxrY2LM

That’s the ultimate graphic for any wooden crate.
If you’re going to etch, etch Italian.

I dont. I just export a SVG and it outlines the text for me because I click the little setting that says convert to outlines.

2 Likes

Corel has that box too. But for us it’s already checked by default. Saves us a click :grinning:

1 Like