Workshops/Workspaces

I like them all, and am feeling more than a little green…I think the next house we build will be a huge kitchen/office/workshop with an eight car garage/shop/printroom out back and cots in the corners.

Who needs to sleep anyway? :smile:

(BTW @rpegg, if you built that phone booth…i want!)

3 Likes

No didn’t build it. It’s a 1941 Bell pulled out of a local bar. Looks much cooler in real life. Thick beveled glass, and dimpled tin metal inner walls. Was going to build it into the entry wall to use as a coat rack but the wife wanted the other side of that wall for a pantry. Just sitting waiting for a purpose ever since.

5 Likes

Mini library?

1 Like

So inspired by what I’ve seen here so far! I won’t have a dedicated space to work, but will have to setup in my apartment. I’ve got a 2x4 Basics kit that I’ll be putting together for my workspace. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love this thread. The work areas give an insight to the individual, plus gleaning ideas of organization and layout. Seriously, I like the shop pics as much as the crafts that are spawned in them. I’m weird that way.
We are all a little messed up in our own special way!

@bridget, to anyone else it looks disorganized, while he could walk in and know where everything is ( mostly).
Nice area! When you get to rocking the walls, you are getting close. Looks like his timing was good. I imagine the delay didn’t hurt his feelings as much as ours!
Lots of light, very nice area to fill with a workshop!

@jdodds - Well stocked, organized and clean shop!
Really like that hardwood door.
That looks nearly as big as my basement! Two mills!
Yes, retirement snuck up on me in the form of a three level spinal fusion and took a period of adjustment, but putting on a little weight and my hands going soft (used to feel like tree bark) has been a nice change.

@rpegg, first thought was a one person standing sauna… :smile: Cool! I never saw a wooden one!

@dhanvinddvs, nice bench design! Two good men to move that thing, without the saw! Is it going to live inside?
Nice thing about a bones up remodel, you mold it to your needs.

6 Likes

until he needs something. someone else must have moved it

it is heavy as a beast, i must say
and possibly. I built it out of green treated wood so it will survive either or. it also looks like a similar design would make a wonderful outdoor grilling table. In Florida, it’s almost always the right weather to cook outside. On a side not, Christmas lights used for mood lighting and a screened in enclosure are most certainly in order

3 Likes

Geesh. An accident? My sister-in-law was run over by a ski boat while in a small car-topper fishing boat out on a lake with my brother. Broke her back. They had to replace the 7th with a disc from cadaver and fuse a series of discs together with titanium pins. I know how long it took her to recover.

2 Likes

Gee, too bad you couldn’t have integrated a little bit of natural light in there! :wink: Going to be really nice place to play!

1 Like

Aaaayyy, step into my office!

2 Likes

Lots of lovely light, although the building was designed to minimise direct sunlight and has UV filtering film over the windows.

6 Likes

Can’t see your picture.

It’s the Fonz, in the bathroom (his “office”), lol…

1 Like

See it now. Love the Fonz.:grinning:

never noticed how much he looks like michael scott from the side

1 Like

Having so much light is awesome. I have a garage workshop and there are only two small windows in it.

My workshop is in a concrete building with no windows, so I envy all of you who have windows. I am lucky to have a great landlord: at my request, all of the overhead fluorescent tubes were replaced with daylight LED tubes at no cost to me. It’s not natural light, but SO much nicer than what I had before. If anyone is stuck with fluorescent fixtures, I would highly recommend looking at LED tubes. Better light, cheaper to run, instant-on.

5 Likes

or if you dont have some already, costco has some awesome ones for $29.99 which is a lot cheaper than anywhere else ive seen. apparently every time they get a pallet they get bought out almost immediately, guess I better go pick up a few extras

9 Likes

Keep in mind the color-temperature of the LEDs. Those costco ones are 4100K, which fall into the bright-white/cool-white range. I have one of those exact fixtures in my garage, and it works great for my needs in there. The ones I had installed in the shop are 5400K, falling into the daylight range.
(The higher the degrees Kelvin, the whiter the color temperature).

One is not necessarily better than the other. I prefer the daylight color-range in my shop, where I am painting and looking at photographs, etc. In the garage the color-temp doesn’t really matter to me. In my home I use the soft-white color temp (2700K-3000K) LED bulbs, which I think most resemble the color output from an old incandescent.

3 Likes

It’s also amazing how much of a mood boost you get from the daylight range during the winters. I replaced my office lights with 5400K+, and it feels like it’s constantly sunny in it. Which is a problem, unfortunately, if you’re working at night and lose track of time. :confused:

3 Likes

They used to carry a 3700k as well, but I opted for the 4100k. At that price point its close enough to daylight to keep me energetic