Workshops/Workspaces

Yeah, of my own doing. Lifted weights in the form of furniture for 30 years, (when you burn 5,000 calories a day you can eat anything you want!) but it was an instant of miscalculation, not lifting.
At the age of 54 I jumped off the back of my truck (4 1/2 feet) into a foot of snow, and landed with my knees locked.
Crushed L4-L5 and blew the discs from L3 to S1.
Herniated a stack of discs in my neck too. Operation was 10 years after the injury when sciatica became too much to bear.
Bright spot was peak physical condition, 4% body fat - an excellent surgical risk.
Numbered hardware also makes my carcass easily identifiable!

$30,000 in titainium hardware and took the neurosurgeon 6.5 hours. That guy was an artist. Gave me my life back.

I think your sister had a deeper hole to climb out of. She is lucky to be alive!

19 Likes

Oh man, thats hectic!!

1 Like

Aaaaaaaaaand now my back hurts
"Hit by a barrage of painful stories on the GF forums. Sympathy pains were just too much"

1 Like

When this Wings song came out, I had no idea what this was about. Listened to it but it might as well been gibberish. I didn’t do comic books. Wasn’t till X-Men movies came out that I got that it was about comix. Your theme song?

1 Like

And my crown tooth hurts, too. Something about screws into bone…

1 Like

oh yeah, and thinking about crowns makes my wallet hurt. I still have to get at least three for my fiance. And we have officially derailed the workshop discussion lol

1 Like

Yeah, If I sit still and dwell on it, I swear I can feel those high-priced lag bolts.

3 Likes

My sister-in-law was lucky. They had to get her out of the lake, then 30 miles (14 on cottage dirt road) to a “small town” hospital in Minden which immediately called for the medical evac helicopter in Toronto. She was a few days in the trauma unit as they couldn’t control the bleeding. She was very lucky!

Glad to hear that at the end of the day you ended in a good place with your surgery. $30K?!!! Ouch! My sister-in-law $NIL cost under the Canadian single payer health care system. I guess that helps us in our pain when buying U.S. goods (e.g. the Glowforge) with our weak Cdn.$.

3 Likes

What! Oooooooouuuuuuch. That’s some H.R. Gieger nightmare type stuff in that pic.

2 Likes

Got to agree…I can’t even look. :worried:

1 Like

Now then… work spaces!
All of a sudden, my shop I find is not nearly big enough to accommodate All of the new tools I’m falling in love with around here.
@bridget and @jdodds have got it goin’ on!

4 Likes

This is where I spend the majority of my time. A lot of it is spent doing s/w deveopment, but nights and weekends are open for making all types of stuff!

You cant really see a lot of the extra stuff I have around, as its such a small space, so I have to hide it. On the bottom level of the worktable is my x-carve. My big router is hidden behind my desk, the router table is in the non-shown corner with the table saw and welder etc, and the projector was used for game of thrones in the backyard last night, so its not in the picture. This also turns into an indoor movie room when we get the chance.

One day ill have a building to expand into, but until then its pretty cozy in here with all my toys =). If you cant already tell im a huge borderlands/last airbender/mad max/thanos fan.

11 Likes

And fittingly this forum is up on one of the monitors in the pic!

1 Like

Cool!
I spy - Chainmail! Last night’s RedBull! (good eye @B_and_D_T)
Whole lot of capability in that room!

If my house didn’t have a room like that, it wouldn’t be home.

Thank you for giving us a peek!

Ah thanks!

The chainmail is for an upcoming project, maybe around fall time. I try not to keep too many finished projects in here as they take up space, but some small 3d prints and one or two costume props are abound.

Im hoping to move into a bigger place sometime soon with a dedicated room for all the loud/potentially toxin emitting contraptions I have, but until then, its nice to have everything close to keep an eye on…

Cant say I havent been programming with a respirator on before hahaha

5 Likes

I’ve got 2 of those costco lights. One over my workbench and lb over the wood lathe. So prefer the led to fluorescent.

2 Likes

I know! I cant tell you how much of a difference its made in here. Im scared theyre gonna stop selling them. I need to get a couple more!

1 Like

That’s the spirit!!
Whew, good laugh!

1 Like

And now I need a bigger house. Thanks alot! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I am know for having it goin’ on.:grin:

1 Like