World Art - Oblivious

I’ve been working on this one for the past year, and I finished it about 2 months ago. It’s been sitting in my garage waiting for the weather to get warmer so I can varnish it. I had to take it out this past weekend to photograph it for a juried show that’s coming up. It has suddenly become very timely.

I call it “Oblivious”. It’s a commentary on how we can sometimes live our lives while ignoring major problems around us.

Approximately 300 individual parts were stained and glued in order to make this piece. There are 21 layers of 1/8" Baltic Birch wood.

The whole piece is about 6’ tall. Here’s one of me beside it for scale (I’m 6’ 3").

Here are a close up of the city and a side shot.

100 Likes

Your body of work gets better and better. This one is my new favorite.

11 Likes

Gosh, Ben…I really have run out of words to describe how much I like your art. I hope you sell this and others for a big huge gob of money.

8 Likes

I am blown away. Love this! I’m amazed a the scale of your creations.

3 Likes

Wow, that is an impressive piece of art!

4 Likes

Hugely Impressive, expresses much I have been thinking better than I have been thinking it. Even as I type this the electricity went off and blew out the internet for no discernable reason, and is now back (I hope)

2 Likes

next level stuff here. most people wouldn’t even consider making something like this, let alone be able to execute it.

5 Likes

Absolutely amazing!

2 Likes

wonderful Ben, I agree with Dave, it’s my favorite too. :sunglasses:
After that much work, even though the money is nice… as an artistic type I know how it feels to part with a grown child of your mind.

7 Likes

WOW! And I just got excited about notebook covers I did. LOL

Great work. Truly inspirational!

1 Like

So another amazing piece, but you’re no banana. :grin:

4 Likes

Best laugh of the day! Thanks for that, I needed it. :laughing:

3 Likes

That’s just…that’s…wow.

4 Likes

I still like the first one I’ve seen best, but this one is super awesome too.

2 Likes

Is this better?

22 Likes

I take it back. You are a banana. :smile:

2 Likes

Your pieces are always incredible! The first cityscape I saw of yours it what made me fall in love with the GF.

4 Likes

Wow!

2 Likes

Add my voice to the chorus of wows!

2 Likes

Mind blowing!

4 Likes