World's First Leather Rhombic Triacontahedron

Ok, I have no if it’s the first, but it’s a good click-baity title. I made a Rhombic Triacontahedron a while back as part of a workshop I hosted showing how I create my polyhedral connectors:

But I never did anything fun with that shape. I bought some scrap leather off etsy a long time ago, and thought I’d skin it with an engraved leather.

63 Likes

That one looks almost medieval! Very nice! :+1:

9 Likes

Fantastic!

5 Likes

What fun geometry. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Very cool!

5 Likes

This is so awesome!! Love the engraving!

3 Likes

I love it! The leather is a great idea. @Jules is right, it looks very medieval. Soccer matches in full armor should be a thing.

6 Likes

Yes!

Medieval football - Wikipedia.

18 Likes

That is flat out gorgeous!

2 Likes

It’s gorgeous!!!

1 Like

Beautiful work on this one!

1 Like

Kind of breaks my brain! Nice work.

1 Like

What a cool combination of ultra modern and Old Worldly feel!

1 Like

Wow. That is beautiful.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the video Mike, I found it really interesting and learned a lot. Just a quick question about how you fix the connectors. Did you thread the holes in the connector, or put nuts on the inside? The potential problem I see with using nuts is they won’t tighten down flat against the inner surface. Or did you use threaded inserts?

1 Like

I use 3d Printed connectors, and design them so the screws just self tap in to the plastic. No nuts required.

So do you like have 1000+ of these around the house? Too COOL!

1 Like

Thousands? No. But too many.

This is outstanding, have you thought about entering it into art shows as mixed media art? I have found some success in doing that with acrylic pieces held together with nut and bolts with straps made from veneer. Check out Cafe for art calls such as https://artist.callforentry.org/ or EntryThingy at https://www.entrythingy.com/.

1 Like

I used to do juried art shows with my photography, so I’m aware of the potential. I’ve thought about it and remembered how much work it was!

1 Like