Would it be too much to ask

:-). Depends on how thorough you want to be. You could, for example, post a pic in Made on a Glowforge for the gallery. A post in Beyond the Manual with the settings. A post in Free Laser Designs with the svg and a tutorial on how to use it. All from one project.

3 Likes

If you use proofgrade and proofgrade settings (I used draft score) Made on Glowforge is fine. Technically, for any other settings it should be in Beyond the Manual. In practice, if a setting here and there gets mentioned in Made on a Glowforge it’s usually left alone. Going into detail about settings is going to get it moved to Beyond the Manual.

My personal preference, not a rule, is to post the pretty pictures in Made on a Glowforge and if you choose to do a lengthy write up to separate it. Sometimes I want all the detail and sometimes I don’t, but I always want to see the pictures and a short description (of why, not what unless it isn’t obvious.)

2 Likes

When I share I tend to prefer the “inspire and get you started in the right direction” sharing rather than “here’s a recipe you can follow step by step to get exactly what I did,” because when I’ve done the latter (not here, though), it opens the door to demands for hand-holding or complaints that it didn’t work.

It’s a tricky balance, because I like helping out, but if someone needs me to tell them how to scale a set of plans on the copy machine or exactly what bolt dimensions they need for attaching casters to a baseplate*, maybe they’re not quite ready to tackle the project itself.

*both real questions I’ve dealt with

4 Likes

Just want to thank everyone for the replies… I didn’t mean to come across as needing hand-holding on everything, but I’ve seen a couple of very unusual and creative items and wondered how certain things were done. I’ve still got a long way to go working thru “the matrix” but I’m diving in and trying things along the way and very impressed with the results - of the machine! Not my creative abilities!!

Just very happy to be a part of this community, especially given the astounding pool of talent (and generosity)…

4 Likes

Big discussion of these issues in this thread, which I never saw until now:

https://community.glowforge.com/t/cardboard-etching/10266/17?source_topic_id=17582