Would it be too much to ask

… that people share the techniques they used to create some of the gorgeous pieces displayed here? I’m reading from the knowledgebase and trying to learn, but see some of the pieces produced by members and wonder “how the heck did they do that?”…

We can obviously figure out cuts vs. engraves, but along the way surely folks are solving problems or figuring out methods that many of us could benefit from…

Am I alone in this?

1 Like

You may find the Made on a Glowforge and Tips & Tricks topics useful. Users have been sharing techniques since the first beta units rolled out. There are also a slew of tutorials and how-tos collected in “the Matrix” (see the first pinned post in Tips & Tricks).

12 Likes

Sometimes. People put a lot of work into their techniques. They may want that work to be unique and not replicated all over the place. Others may not mind at all. One thing to consider is that forum guidelines tell us it’s not okay to ask for files. This way it doesn’t force the artist into a position to say “no.”

13 Likes

Also, really, as @dwardio said, there is a straight up TON of tips and techniques on this forum, if you dig a little deeper. This category specifically discourages full writeups of technique. If you want to find the goods, look for stuff in “beyond the manual” .

I guarantee there is more info on here than you have time to read and absorb in a month or three. It’s a huge rabbit hole created by all of us, a really great resource. Just take one topic you’re curious about and search for posts about it, like “living hinges” or “inlay”, and follow that rabbit. We’ll see you when you surface in 3 weeks :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Ja, I posted this in the “made on a glowforge” section, and mentioned that I was working my way thru the knowledgebase (“the matrix” from the pinned post in “tips and tricks”) for a reason.

Perhaps it came across the wrong way. Not looking for a detailed tutorial on every project, but occasionally someone posts examples of their work that use techniques that I’ve not yet encountered. If I discovered a new way to solve a problem or create something unique, I’d be thrilled to share my method with the community. That’s all I was asking for.

1 Like

I ask for specific techniques all the time, too. I’ll ask something like “hey great contrast on your engrave, care to talk about how you did it?” People are usually happy to share, but like @tom_a said, asking for files is contrary to the guidelines, posted here:

https://community.glowforge.com/faq

3 Likes

Look at a lot of the older MOAG posts too - the PRU users went out of their way to discuss tips and techniques, so that folks wouldn’t have to all re-invent the wheel. (The Beta users as well, but they were limited as to what they could disclose due to non-disclosure agreements.)

Look at some of the Pre-Release stuff dating back to around November 2016 and moving forward.

3 Likes

Good answer, @evansd2 you beat me to it :blush:

@eflyguy, welcome to the forum! About the only time I would feel comfortable asking about a file is to help someone who is having a problem with a file and they are asking for help with it.

Also, the Made on a Glowforge area is specifically for showing off what you’ve made. Questions like this fall under #everything-else or, if askin about specific settings, #beyond-the-manual. I’m going to move this one to #everything-else.

1 Like

Refining @evansd2 answer here. Build logs, or showing the steps a project took are fine in MoaG. But sharing specific settings like “I used 500 zooms and 55 pews to cut through this material,” is what is discouraged.

The regulars around here will often move a thread to a more appropriate place if needed.

1 Like

Ha! You’d think I would have known the part about not asking for a file. Is there a rule about asking to buy the plans from someone? :wink:

In all seriousness, I shouldn’t be upset if there was some sort of free/open source plans section here for those willing to share, and I’m not going to lie, I’ve seen a few things - normally gaming-related or storage/organization related - that I would gladly pay for rather than work through the math/trial and error myself.

There’s always the #free-laser-designs category where people post their files, settings, and how-to’s for their projects.

2 Likes

Yeah if only such a section existed! :slight_smile:

GF has tossed out that they want to open the Catalog for user submitted & sold projects.

Now look at what you’ve done! You’ve made me summon the spirit of @kittski!

12 Likes

I see your sarcasm and raise you one ‘Fine… I should have looked before typing’.

I’m guilty of just checking the New and Unread options. I always forget about going to the top level of the forum.

I usually go to All Categories -> Latest and just stay there. I rarely think about the category of the post.

2 Likes

Hahahahah this explains it! About 5 hrs ago my finger stared uncontrollably twitching ago and randomly pointing at things. :point_left:t3::point_up_2:t3::point_down:t3::point_right:t3: Seriously though, it’s a pretty effective pointer if I do say so myself
:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I like it! It’s quicker than adding arrows in Photoshop. :smile:

4 Likes

Exactly Jules! And faster than some fancy-dancy cool video tutorial lol.

2 Likes

Wait, I am confused now.

If I want to make a post about something I made, and include the details about settings, am I …

• Not supposed to do that? Because I do that all the time.
  • Do that, but put it in which forum?