Wouldn't Calibrate (Working now)

Oh, I’m not worried about it. I expect strange behavior from software that’s getting tweaked behind the scenes.

Something always goes wonky where you don’t expect it. It’ll sort itself out eventually.

Agreed.

Only if we report it.

2 Likes

I usually don’t need to. Someone else always does and I know they’re aware of it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sure. I can understand that thinking. But it might also help, in some (all?) cases, to know how wide-spread an issue is.

2 Likes

We’ve all reported it at least once.

Yes, of course… I was speaking generally. Not specifically about this issue. However, it might also be helpful for them to know an issue still exists as perhaps they thought they fixed it if they see no further reports of the issue.

If I suspect it’s a software related issue and someone else has reported it, I generally don’t bother, because it’s going to affect everyone. I’m always afraid of wasting their resources, and having 200 people report the same problem - they all have to be responded to, it creates multiples of tickets on what is essentially the same problem. Very inefficient. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s what makes you special to us :smirk:

2 Likes

Yeah. “Special” Have really bad communication skills but even I know what that means. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for reporting this. We’re taking a look.

I’m glad you are back up and printing.

1 Like

I’m having the same problems. Power cycling not happening. I logged off, powered the GF down, waited a minute, powered back on, logged back in, calibration started and then stopped. I just moved the head to be underneath the camera like Tom A suggested. Seems to be stuck again in calibration. argh!

I intermittently have this problem as well. Having it right now. Sometimes the head jostles a bit, but otherwise it’ll sit there doing nothing for as long as I am willing to let it. Oddly, choosing “refresh bed image” in the app actually does so, giving me a nice, up to date image of the top of the laser head.

Evidently I should have posted this two hours ago, because it just woke up and finished calibrating about seven seconds after I hit “reply”

3 Likes

I’m also having the same issue this morning - some combination of waiting and power off/wait/on has managed to get it working a couple of times, but nothing repeatable - it’s back to Calibrating again.

I too can do ‘Refresh bed image’ and get a picture of the side of the print head!

(When the GlowForge arrived in Friday I was able to use it for several hours without any issues at all)

There was a series of Ready/ on-off / multiple Calibration steps after first turning my unit on yesterday. Only took about 5 minutes to complete. Every other time this has happened to me it was related to a confirmed Firmware update. Rare that I notice it, but it happens. Kind of like the multiple rebooting steps a computer goes through with some updates. I have a very stable wifi and internet connection so for me it’s always just having the patience not to interrupt the process. But I can’t know how it’s affecting others.

Also might note… When there is a confirmed update the process takes days, maybe a week or more to migrate through all the machines. Some folks turn their machine on every day, some don’t. If a machine is left on for days an update can’t load. Some machines arrive in need of the update, etc… So from our perspective weird stuff just happens.

2 Likes

How does one confirm firmware updates? That would be a great deal better than wondering why my machine is rebooting.

When Support has said there was a push.

1 Like

I have had similar issues with the head knocking into the top left and getting stuck in calibrate. last night I did the turn off/on thing a few times and it didn’t move. I moved the head by hand, and noticed that it was jammed to the left on something. moving it to the center of the gantry and moving the gantry to the center of the bed and powering on the unit reset things and I was able to cut. I am annoyed by the visual only calibration and lack of hard endstops of any kind means the machine grinds away on the belts. My unit seems to grind in the upper left corner every time I power it on if I don’t recenter the head. I suspect it was this grinding that got it stuck on something in the corner. I am about to put the unit on a smart outlet so I can turn the machine on and off remotely so that I can use the full UI to gauge estimated run times. You need to have the machine online in order to calculate a cut path and get an estimate. So having the unit on a smart outlet is handy, but annoying that it’ll be grinding into the top left corner and getting physically stuck during the day.

2 Likes

If your machine does it more than very rarely I would start a new topic in this section or send Support an email. It should not do this. I’ve had it happen twice in 7 months and not for the past 4 months. Support may not see or respond to a problem that is not in it’s own topic.