X-Axis Gantry Tightness (after cleaning)

Hey GF!

I’m trying to pinpoint what today’s issue is.
(Photo to show scattered design)

My first thought is the tightness of the X axis gantry that sweeps left to right.

After deep cleaning, we retightened the right wheel to what we thought was the proper tension.

My question for you all is how far to the right do we move the wheel before tightening?

I know Glowforge has a video with the recommended visual tightness, but a location of where to tighten would be most helpful.

(Ex. Loosen wheel, move as far right as possible, then tighten)

I assume I would then run a recalibration test afterwards.

Thank you!

You shouldn’t have to recalibrate after cleaning, but you do need to follow the Glowforge support instructions for adjusting the belt tension. Adjust the Carriage Plate Belt Tension – Glowforge

The instructions say to move the wheel until the belt is fully extended.

So maybe my issue could be too tight of a belt?

I removed my belt to move the wheel all the way to the right then reattached the belt.

Yes, or you could have accidentally twisted the belt.

@gkbowtique I’m sorry to hear your Glowforge is having an issue printing where it looks like it is shifting mid-print.

@dklgood suggestion of checking the belt tension would be a great next step.

This suggests that you could be having trouble with a wheel on your carriage plate.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge
  2. Remove the carriage plate from the laser arm
  3. Closely inspect the carriage plate wheels from the top for any cracks or other damage
  4. Closely inspect the sides of the wheels for any cracks or other damage
  5. If you notice anything damaged or out of place, please take a photo and attach it to your reply.

Please let us know how it goes.

Yes I can definitely do all of that and check that this evening or tomorrow as we are out of town.
Do I need to extend the right wheel with the belt attached or extend it then attach it?

Thank you for the update, we’ll keep an eye out for your feedback and photos.

To reattach the carriage plate, I find its easiest to extend the belt with the pulley attached. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

@MorganW I extended the belt while it wrapped around the wheel and I believe that solved my problem.
I think my belt was too tight.

Thank you all again!

That is great news. I’m so glad to hear you resolved it.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out again should you need anything. We’re happy to help!