X axis is not aligned

Hi guys it seem that my glower isnt working properly. The X axis alignment is way off and there is a grinding noise when I print. The belt on seems to have alot of play. Any ideas on how to get this fixed?

Here is some info on checking both axis:

Have you had the carriage plate off to clean the air assist fan or anything?

2 Likes

No not at all everything is clean the belt looks really loose.

1 Like

Yikes! The X-axis belt is much too loose on that. There are instructions on how to remove/install the X-axis belt in the writeup below. If the belt has come off of the pulleys you’ll need to use them to put it back on. You might need another belt if the belt is stretched or torn. Check to see if the pulleys at the ends of the laser arm are loose, or if they shift before you remove it, and let support know. (And always turn off the machine before doing any fixes on it.)

3 Likes

After inspecting the belt its still on the gear. There is a lot of play on the belt which is most likely the issue. Can the belt be trimmed and then reinstalled? or do I need to get a new belt?

I suspect Support would want to send you another one, but can’t really speak for them. :slightly_smiling_face: (Just another customer.)

One more thing to check, but you’ll need a 3mm hex wrench, so hopefully you have one in a tool jar somewhere. That link that @jbmanning5 sent you to has a couple of shots that show how to tighten up the pulleys…you might want to see if one of the pulleys was just installed in the wrong position, or has slipped.

This is a picture of the underside of the laser arm using a lighted mirror…you can see the pulley is installed in a slot underneath. The pulley should be installed as far to the right of that slot as it can be…it might just need to be loosened, slid over to the right, and tightened again. To do that you need a 3 mm hex wrench. But it might take up the slack in that belt.

I’d check that with a mirror and flashlight to see where it’s parked, and the one on the other side.

3 Likes

Yes, I would definitely check to see if the belt tension can be increased. It’s a pretty quick fix.

Yes! that was it thank you everyone for your help!! This post can be closed

6 Likes

Thank you for the amazing help everyone!

@sqc160 I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

1 Like