xTool P2

The P2’s “airflow of the air pump” can be adjusted in the settings window. One can control (to an extent) the amount (percentage) of airflow for engraves, and for cuts (independent of each other) from 100% (the default settings) down to 30% (but not lower). So, one cannot turn it off completely within the xTool Creative Space software. Others have talked about hardware modifications, but 30% is the lowest airflow within software parameters.

2 Likes

@hollidude was saying that (P2 fan + P2 fume filter) is quieter than (Glowforge fan + Glowforge fume filter). Neither combination is quieter than (Glowforge with fan disabled + inline fan).

5 Likes

That makes total sense, and why I had to stay with the Glowforge System with another Pro Model.
I also spoke with X tool and confirmed that there is no way to shut off the Fan , Thank you .

4 Likes

Completely agree

2 Likes

I know that an air filter has a starting cost, and then… during usage, even higher maintenance costs to substitute the filters.
When I purchased the GF Pro, the GF Air Filter was still non available.
And as I had all the stuff sent from US to Italy (with high delivery costs and taxes), at the end I preferred purchasing the XTool Air Filter (compatible with my M1 and the P2) that was less expensive both as initial cost, delivery/taxes (shipped from Europe) and future filter replacements.

Even if the Xtool filter has a smaller intake diameter (3 inches vs GF 4 inches) it seems working. I’ve set the GF Pro to work with the external purifier and I think that the GF pushes-out air a little more than how much the Xtool air purifier can pull-in /manage (I see the pipe trying to increase a bit the lenght, when working). Anyhow it seems working, at the moment I’ve not had any problem.
In terms of noise, the xTool Air Purifier is sure more quiet than the GF Pro, even with the GR Pro set to use the external purifier.
The GF Air Filter is rated 350W and 350mc/h, the xTool one… I’ve asked (seems pretty similar).

Obviously the best would have been to have a window but… I’m in an underground garage, so the only different option would have been to extract the air from the garage door to the underground pit lane (that has some ventilation grilles to open air)… but… I’m unsure about the air exchange rate down there, and I wouldn’t like neighbours complaining for potential smokes in the garage lane :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You should see @dwardio’s rig:

5 Likes

He did a nice work… even if in Italy we normally do not live in single houses but in apartments… so this solution was not viable to me.
In any case… more than taking outside an electrical appliance (the fan, able to manage icy winters and rains?) I would have… simply made an hole in the window, as I did upstairs, in my flat, where I do not have the space to place the GF and I installed an xTool M1 10W with an exhaust pipe connected to my windows (+ inline fan). Perfectly sealed and… engineered myself with a 3D printer and some magnets. I do not like the window well solutions…
Obviously I purchased a new window glass (double glass) with a custom 4" hole…
You can see here what I did… the green piece is connected to the hose, the gray one is connected to an external metal vent - purchased on amazon, the blue piece is simply a cap if I want to remove the hose. Two laser cut EVA rings seal the connection.

23 Likes

That is a very nice installation. I have enjoyed hearing about your x tool laser. It is refreshing to hear about the difference between it and the glowforge without all the bashing that some others do.

11 Likes

That is an amazing piece of work. Purchasing a double glazed window with a 4" round hole would be an amazing thing all by itself. The normal double-glazed window I purchased many years ago were said to be ruined if outside air ever got in much less a matched pair of 4" holes.

In checking 350 Mc/h translates to ~200 CFM that is very weak for a glowforge, and that is before the filter starts to clog. I would want at ;least double that through put on a new filter.

7 Likes

It’s about the same as the official GF filter though.

5 Likes

Indeed, and the biggest cause of complaints about how fast the filter fills up. I have a 190 CFM assist fan and cannot use it alone when cutting really smokey stuff.

4 Likes

Thanks, @davidgal2 :slight_smile: I’m simply a person using both machines, so I can try to be as objective as I can. And I appreciate both companies.
I deeply analysed the trajectory of GF and xTool, from Dan’s kickstarter campaign to Makeblock evolution into xTool. I was part of them since the early days.
And… yes, now I’d humbly suggest Glowforge to consider the market is opening wide on these techs. Digital fabrication future is bright.
So, in terms of strategic development, now something more has to be done in terms of software evolution (even on the FREE side, given the already limiting web-only usage) and hardware upgrading (of the current machines, not only across new models, extending and enforcing our - high - investments value).
Just my thoughts… :innocent:

7 Likes

That is why I went to Inkscape and Gimp, and to a lessor extant Blender. The investment in just learning the software is considerable even without paying all the cash as well. I got quite good at Artcam on someone else’s dime but since Autodesk did a catch-and-kill even that effort is just wasted.

I taught myself Autocad (with the help of books) as that was the demand of employers, but I would no longer go there for any other reason.

4 Likes

Personally I already pay for Adobe suite (part of my job) and therefore Illustrator is my main software for SVGs.
Nonetheless I hate to open the GFUI and being NOT able to make even a simple line to cut a sheet of wood after a work is finished. Or to make very simple transformations to an object I’ve created in Illustrator.

If I compare the GFUI to xTool XCS… OMG… this latter software did start being developed years AFTER the GFUI and is now immensely superior, local working (no need to WAIT for GF servers for calculations), available on desktop (Win/MacOS) AND iPAD (with a specific app, really well done!).
I almost never use XCS to make a design (obviously Illustrator is superior), but for easy shapes and quick cuts… it’s super! There’s even a (free) generative AI feature, recently integrated…

I kindly ask Glowforge developers to monitor such competitive solutions and… update accordingly the FREE tools in GFUI (free, not Premium).

You can check here the basic features (and there are a lot more, and everything is free):

6 Likes

There was a time when the GFUI could not do these things and now it does, which things are premium and which are not I do not know as I jumped at the first “great” offer that had little to recommend it at the time but has grown since, but early on I did have things like just a line or basic shape to drag into the GFUI as needed. Now the only thing I am really upset about is really great and accurate rotation under 2 degrees that is killer to get a long design on a thin board (like a ruler) that a degree off translates to considerable miss at the other end.

I jumped on the CNC bandwagon way too early and ended up with junk, in part because I did not have the engineering chops to do what was needed, and much later got a glowforge on the basis that I did not need those skills.

I really miss Autocad Lisp (that I thought would become universal but did not), but find plenty ability in the Gimp/ Inkscape/ Blender world. Perhaps that would be different if I was starting today but my experience with 3Dprinters would suggest not so much. A different universe would have different results, such as a built in everything Adobe and no need to start out there, but a more limited base like Microsoft made for something other than artists, it would be worth it to go to a different system and the difference in motivation in making something to sell and making something to use yourself has sent me to the open source route.

3 Likes

For something like this I create the cut at the same time as the art.

You will be better served to contact them directly as they do not monitor this forum.

6 Likes

i don’t disagree that it would be nice to have free shapes instead of having them in premium.

that said, if you’re an AI user, it’s as simple as copy/paste from AI to the GFUI. so it’s a mild hassle at most, one extra step to copy/paste (i guess that could be seen as two, so maybe two).

6 Likes

Yes, i did prepare some basic shapes to insert when needed, but… hey… is this a caring for clients and their ease of use? Clients that have spent 7+K bucks in a (nice) device?! Glowforge is not anymore alone in the market. Some features should be a no-brainer…
Today, after having used both the simple xTool M1 XCS and the GFUI, my next laser would be the P2. Try to download the free XCS app on the iPad (the app is named “Creative Space”), just to have a quick bite… then after you simply delete it.
As I love the GF in terms of hardware (except the air assist lack), i hope our (free) GFUI will definitely grow. Definitely.

6 Likes

While I agree with you, I have very little hope for that kind of change. Glowforge’s business model includes subscriptions now, I feel it’s unlikely to change — no matter how many people simply complain.

The only thing that might make a difference is if people not only express their displeasure but also cancel their subscriptions. This is a strange combination: the people who really want the design tools are unlikely to cancel their subs because then they’re stuck.

I’m not advocating this, mind you. I’m just saying that until they see declining subscription revenues specifically tied to “design software should be free”, they just have no incentive to change course. None of us have any insight into the company’s finances so I suppose we have no idea if this is happening at all — we’re operating in the dark here.

10 Likes

I agree with you too.
Only i would add one important factor: how many new clients will they lose vs innovative realities like xTool? (and there are many more out there).

I would buy a premium subscription for free designs, not for basic tool features that anybody else offers for free: for those - like myself - i would use external programs, everytime complaining about uneasy usage. These complains bring customer dissatisfaction, lack of advocacy, churning clients.

Producing a laser cutter is not rocket science, a 2 axis system and a focused laser.
Innovations might reside in software (see above), air assist system, precision placement, curved surfaces (features that other players are already providing).
Canon and Nikon were dominating the DSLR market, before Sony started to innovate… (I moved from Canon to Sony, by the way, and I’m so happy of my Sony A7r3 - long lasting value, as I would desire from my [more expensive] GF Pro).

As i wrote, i love Glowforge and I hope they will come back to innovate.

3 Likes