XY home position

But it can’t apparently see the edge of the material… That’s the problem.

We’ve been through this. That’s what I thought Feature 8 / Optical alignment would give us - but alas, apparently not.

If I missed some other info or new developments on this, by all means enlighten me.

1 Like

Well… the feature hasn’t been released. As a result all of this is speculation. So why don’t we just wait until the feature is released rather than speculate.

My argument was simply that unless the marker tape was orthagonal to the material, it wouldn’t help in determining the orientation of or position of said material.

The Shaper doesn’t know the material. It can’t “see” the edge of the plywood. It knows the area of the tape that you scan ahead of time. You manually set the start position within that mapped area and the tape lets Shaper keep itself aligned to itself because it doesn’t have a gantry to control the router position.

Fiduciary marks placed arbitrarily on the material itself wouldn’t work for what most people in this thread are trying to accomplish and it certainly wouldn’t help in aligning for double-sided work.

The only way that would work is if both sides of PG material had the marks precisely and orthogonally embedded into the masking. The user adding it would be worse than aligning on-screen via the camera.

2 Likes

What about a low power laser (cross hair pattern) mounted on the lid and broadcast down for alignment purposes? Or a user definable cross hair in the UI that can be visually aligned to a user provided material cross hair?

1 Like