Y axis bumping/thumping/grinding

Today, while engraving a couple of flasks, our GF started making an odd noise. The X axis (left & right) is nice and smooth and sounds fine. The Y axis (up & down), however is making an odd bumping/thumping/grinding sound. The noise seems to be be more prominent on the right side of the machine.

This is a test I drew up quickly to see if I could figure out what was going on.
Test Cut a

This is the result of the test cut. The X Axis looks like normal. As you can see on the star, the Y Axis in combination with the X axis, is having issues. The sounds coming from the machine are not normal and when you’ve made as many cuts as we have, you know the normal sounds the GF makes.
Test Cut b

I made this video and can make more if needed. At the end of the video, you can see the belt on the right side of the GF vibration with the vertical movement.

• We have checked all of the belts. They are firm and do not have slack in them.
  • We have moved the arm after powering off to let it reset
  • We have clean the exhaust fan
  • We have checked for debris in the tracks and belts
  • We have powered off for more than 5 minutes
  • We are in the process of cleaning the entire machine to make sure we haven’t missed anything.

What else can we check? Please help. We have many orders to complete this weekend.

Thank you for your help!!

Check all the drive wheels and make sure there are no busted ribs on the belts? :thinking:

Thanks, for the reply @rbtdanforth. I’ve checked and rechecked the belts and wheels. Both visually and by touch. I have not found anything broken. Also, with the GF off, I moved the arm vertically and it’s just as smooth as ever. I would think that if there were a missing tooth or rib, I might be able to feel it.

Sounds like bad motor or motor driver.

How old is the machine?

Thanks @eflyguy! I was hoping it wouldn’t be something like that, but, I couldn’t find another option. We purchased the machine on July 22nd of 2019. Delivered on/around the 26th. It’s the pro, so it’s still under warranty.

I’m hoping that someone has a quick fix for us so we can get back to working again. If not, and it’s a motor, would that be a swap and replace the whole unit kinda deal, or they send parts and instructions?

Replace the machine, unfortunately.

Let’s wait for support, they might have some more things to try.

I know you said you checked the belts but this kind of distortion is most commonly associated with belt tension issues.

2 Likes

If a replacement is needed, how long does it usually take to get?

How long does it usually take for support to respond?

Response seems to be about one day at the moment.

I can’t speak to machine availability, it appears they are pretty much shipped out as soon as they are assembled.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.

1 Like