Yellow Light Coolant Pump Seems to sound different

Hi, my glowforge keeps on focusing or centering but not working. The Amber or yellow light comes on. I noticed that the sound of the coolant pump is different like the motor inside it has issues.

Thank you so much for the details. I’m looking into it now. As soon as I have more information I’ll update this thread.

Hi,

After looking at your machine’s activity logs, I noticed that the coolant pump seems to be running at the upper end of its operating temperature during some of the failed calibration actions.

Your Glowforge Pro features a closed-loop liquid cooling system that uses the air from the room to remove heat. It’s boosted by a solid-state thermoelectric cooler that allows for heavier use at higher ambient temperatures than the Basic. It is designed to be used when the temperature next to your Glowforge is between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 81 degrees Fahrenheit (27 Celsius). To check, put a room thermometer next to the right hand side of the Glowforge; it draws in air from underneath, on the right.

You can try any of these things to improve performance:

• Try printing with no material on the bed (so as not to generate smoke and fumes) and no exhaust hose attached. If this works, then the problem may be that your exhaust hose is constricting the flow of air out of the unit, preventing cooling.

• Examine the bottom-right side of your Glowforge, and ensure that there is no fabric or other flexible material underneath it, like a tablecloth. There are air intake vents, and if they become obstructed, it makes cooling less effective.

• Try pointing a fan at the right side of your Glowforge. If there is warm air around the intake, this could help it cool off.

• Power off your Glowforge when you are not using it. When your Glowforge sits idle, the fans are off, so heat can build up

• Just wait. Your print may take a little longer when it’s warm, but your Glowforge will protect itself and make sure it cools enough to prevent any loss of power or damage. It’s clever enough to pick up from exactly where it left off, even if it needs to pause to cool down during the print!

• Ensure that the sun isn’t shining on the lid. This could cause the inside of your Glowforge to heat up.

• If you are venting outdoors, ensure that extreme temperatures or humidity do not enter the Glowforge unit through the exhaust hose. Disconnect the hose from the outside air when the Glowforge is not in use.

• Turn your Glowforge off and open the lid for a few minutes before trying again. It’s possible for the air in your Glowforge to heat up, just like a car in the sun on a hot day, opening the lid will help that warm air to escape and your Glowforge to cool down.

If you are still running into trouble, please let us know the following so that we can investigate further:

1. A description of the things you tried and what happened

2. If possible, place a thermometer next to your Glowforge on the right hand side and measure the temperature there; if not, estimate the room temperature

3. The date and time (including time zone) when you had the problem

4. Take a picture of the exhaust hose behind your Glowforge that includes the part where it connects to your Glowforge, and the part where it exits the room

Best,

1 Like

Hi,

The temperature definitely below 81 as I have to wear a sweater. I know how it would react to heat in the summer, this is not the same. In the summer it would have wouldn’t work during the day and Glowforge would state that it is cooling. Now, it the light just stays yellow and keeps focusing. I got a to work 2 more times, but it that is after 20 tries. I’ll try to get a thermometer and show you.

Kind Regards

Anil

Also, now it keeps saying the lid is open when is not and than the purple light comes one. When I try to setup the WiFi again I don’t see it in my WiFi panel.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.