Yellow Light Of Doom, Cold Or Something Else

Hello there, I know the yellow light generally means the machine is too cold to run but I was running for quite some time without problems and it’s pretty warm in here but I am in northern Michigan and the hose is connected to the great snowy yonder.

Can someone from GF support please check the logs and tell me if the yellow light is currently from my machine being cold or something else? When I’m running the GF UI tells me to refresh my browser and that there’s some unknown error.

Please and thank you.

Also to add to this, machine is recently and very clean.

Make sure your white cable hasn’t come loose.

2 Likes

Someone on FB just suggested that to me and I checked, hoping it was a shiny easy fix, and alas- mine is totally secure. :slight_smile: But I’m happy to learn that’s a thing that can make the yellow light pop for future reasons.

1 Like

Hello @feeby123 - Sorry to hear you’ve run into this snag.

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate, and it looks like the yellow button is appearing because the Glowforge is having trouble communicating with the printer head, so the steps @geek2nurse offered are right on track here. There are two key connections I’d to ask you to double check for me.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Holding only the finished black surfaces, grasp the printer head as shown. Pull gently up and back to disengage the magnets and remove the head.
  3. There is a small tab in the center of the wire ribbon. Push down fully on the tab to release it, and gently pull the wire ribbon plug from the printer head.
  4. Take a clear photo of the gold pins inside the printer head where you just unplugged the wire ribbon. It should look like this.
  5. Pick up the printer head and wire ribbon. Make sure the tab on the wire ribbon is facing up. Slide the ribbon back into the head until it clicks.
  6. As shown, lower the printer head over the metal plate so that it rests next to the two round posts. Then push it gently away from you – you’ll feel a “click” as magnets pull the printer head until it sits snugly atop the metal plate.
  7. Pull the laser arm all the way forward.
  8. Reach over the laser arm, and to the left of the inside of the unit and you’ll see this circuit board:
  9. Take a photo of the circuit board. If the cable I’ve indicated above with the red arrow appears to be loose, please reconnect it and try printing again. This cable should ‘click’ back into place.
  10. Turn your Glowforge back on.
  11. Send us the photos you took in step 4 and step 9.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I got an orange light last night after accidentally bumping my laser head, and it ended up being a air assist error.

1 Like

Forgive me the late reply. Migraine day yesterday. :slight_smile:

Here’s the photos. I hope I took good enough ones to help. The cable wasn’t loose.

I know everyone is probably busy as heck but I don’t want to fall through the cracks so just giving this a teeny tiny boop.

1 Like

You’ve been VERY patient; I’m not sure why they haven’t gotten back to you! Maybe tagging @Mike.D will help…fingers crossed!

3 Likes

Thank you. :two_hearts: I figured what with the weekend and all…

1 Like

Thanks for sharing all of this detailed information. I just followed up directly by email with the next steps so we can get you printing again soon. Since we’re talking there now, I’m going to close this thread.