You've all heard that story

…about making a last-minute gift? Well, it happened here today, folks! My grandson came over this afternoon and wanted to make a gift for a friend’s birthday…which was happening in a couple hours hence. He had a drawing that had been done by his friend and we wanted to laser it onto a piece of maple Proofgrade. Since I’m not yet very proficient, it took me a while to figure out exactly how I wanted to get the drawing into the app…print it and trace it?..or create an SVG file with it? I also had the drawing on a PDF. I looked at all my options and went with the SVG. I also learned, at the same time, how to create a text path so I could personalize the gift. Not a great font choice, but my grandson liked it. It looks much finer in person than in these photos. Since it’s supposed to be a silver fox, he removed only parts of the masking, which gives it more of a silver appearance.

I found a little box to put it in, and tied it with a purple ribbon (his friend is a girl). We glued the smaller print of the fox onto the front of a notecard, he wrote his message inside, and he was off to the party.

He’s a man of few words, but I think he was very pleased. I know I was…:relaxed:

81 Likes

That turned out Really Great! :glowforge: Glowforge to the Rescue!

7 Likes

Great job! and this is one big prove that the Glowforge will be a life saver… mostly If you forget birthdays or anniverasaries :wink:

8 Likes

What a wonderful gift and keepsake Xabbess! I would have loved to have some of my artwork memorialized like this. How awesome you were able to go from drawing to great gift in such a short time.

5 Likes

It came out perfectly! It’s a lovely drawing and you chose a very nice way to present it. I’m glad you got the text outlines figured out!

4 Likes

What a lovely thoughtful gift…using her own artwork! :smiley:

3 Likes

Now that’s a last minute gift that you can be proud of!

2 Likes

He’s going to very popular with the ladies :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I hope so. He’s my eldest and will be graduating from high school this year. He has Aspergers, and is what I would call, a late bloomer…at least socially. I don’t have any favorite grandchildren, but this guy holds a special place in my heart. I was delighted to be able to help him with his idea. :relaxed:

11 Likes

All of your projects are looking so nice looking and this one will have a lasting value to your son since he got to help.

4 Likes

Very Nice! I am sure she loved it! I wish my grandma had a glowforge!

5 Likes

Very striking image of the Fox. Great story to go with it. Engraving things like this give them a permanence that they otherwise might not get. Wonderful gift.

5 Likes

Thank you, David. (technically, it was my eldest grandson)…we had a great time!

1 Like

Woops, sorry. You don’t look old enough for grandchildren. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No worries! Plenty old enough. Six of them!

1 Like

That looks great!

It would also have made a fantastic puzzle. Cut out all the pieces (perhaps combine the smaller ones in the face and the feet).

You could cut out some pieces in different woods as well. If you cut the whole thing in 3 different types of wood, then you can mix and match the pieces and end up with 3 finished puzzles.

Great work.

1 Like

Thank you! We thought of the puzzle idea, too. But, I had enough on my plate at the time just trying to get it into the correct type of file for the GF. That, plus a time frame. Perhaps another time…

1 Like

it won’t be long before you’ve got ready-to-forge plans for gift boxes of all sizes! just toss in some cardstock, and you’ll have a great looking box to go with the gift :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hooray! This is terrific!

2 Likes

Fantastic! I love how people keep using the protective masking as part of the design! Once my Glowforge arrives, every one of my friends and family will be getting personalized and/or customized gifts of every shape and size. “The Glowforge that keeps on giving… why not share the love?” (I think that will be my new business slogan.)

11 Likes