12-piece Lattice Puzzle (w/free svg)

1/8" Blue acrylic

So I’ve seen a few variations of a type of puzzle kicking around lately called lattice puzzles. One look at the design and I thought “I can laser that”. Rather than reinvent the wheel I figured I’d find out if anyone else had done it, and found a basic model on Thingiverse[1]. I modified that model to have slightly rounded corners, it went perfectly.

The puzzle consists of 12 identical pieces, which is part of why I thought it was so clever.

1/8" Blue acrylic

Tolerances are tight on this one, you don’t want your slots too loose. I included a thickness gauge in the SVG with basic instructions of how to use it. This file uses clones in Inkscape, if you open it in AI I’m not sure how well that will translate. Let me know if you try it.

Here they are in action:

1/8" Blue acrylic

Here’s the SVG if you want to make your own:

Dirty_Dozen_Puzzle

(Right click to download)

It’s currently scaled at 0.112 pre-kerf slot thickness, which worked out perfectly for 1/8" acrylic.

Video of the solution, if/when you need it:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/TQOxAy7dfsY

1. Attribution: Dirty Dozen Puzzle SVG by MrAinley - Thingiverse ↩︎

55 Likes

Thanks for sharing, this looks fun!

14 Likes

Very cool!!

11 Likes

Excellent! Thanks for the share.

10 Likes

Oh, thanks for sharing! I’ve always loved the little wooden puzzles!

7 Likes

That is super cool. I think I need some reflective metallic acrylic.

7 Likes

so, opening in AI means the clones aren’t cloned any more. but they’re all there.

11 Likes

So fun, I may have to try it. Thank you!

7 Likes

This looks very cool. Thanks for the share!

6 Likes

Fun! Thank you.

7 Likes

And now I know how I’m spending the rest of my evening. :joy:

7 Likes

Cool. My husband likes puzzles. Might be a little gift for his retirement coming up.

7 Likes

Awesome! My daughter and granddaughters love a challenging puzzle. Thanks for the share!

6 Likes

Oh, neat! I might just have to make me one. Thanks for the file!

4 Likes

I made these last year with proof grade plywood, but they were really brittle and easily broke apart. Are the acrylic prints stronger?

The problem with this design is that it requires the thickness of the weak parts to be the same as the thickness of the material used. It would work great with metals, if we could cut them, but for wood, I found it frustratingly fragile.

3 Likes

I haven’t cracked it yet, and I fiddle with it all the time.

2 Likes

Just did an accidental stress test — was fiddling with the assembled puzzle and dropped it from about chest height onto a hardwood floor.

It landed pretty hard, right on a corner. No damage.

5 Likes

I love puzzles, thanks for the share @evansd2 !

3 Likes

Oops…I did the 8 piece one and just realized I posted this in the 12-piece one…but, the result is still the same.

I just opened the svg in Affinity and this is what the clones looked like. Not sure why the ‘solid’ red ones are even there…and they don’t even fit exactly inside the lines of the other row. I made the gauge and made the proper adjustment, then just made my own line of clones. Everything cut out just fine and fits together very well…although I have not solved the puzzle yet, so will need help from the video. :grimacing:

3 Likes

The red ones are unadulterated shapes — there’s no rounding of the corners. I included it sort of by accident, but once I realized they were there I figured it would be a good starting point if anyone wanted to remix it.

So I didn’t replace the file :slight_smile:

7 Likes