2018 Nerd-off

Actually a smaller version is quite amenable to be laser cut. Imagine the controls as a table lamp.

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

@rbtdanforth

I can’t decide if that makes you an optimist, an idealist, or just an ambitious sonuvagun!

1 Like

Reckless perhaps though hardly Wreckless. If I live forever I might get to half the things on the list but then if I wasn’t ,I might never have even tried this

1 Like

Kree! I would love to know everything about how you made that mold. It is relevant to my interests. :slight_smile:

This is the nerdiest thing I have done so far: a Judge badge. Here is is carved out of draftboard, thin basswood, and thick basswood.

I built the badge completely from scratch and applied gradients and shades to get the relief I wanted. (You can see some variations in how the sloped parts are cut, I was fiddling with my gradients.)

You can carve really deep in basswood, it’s great… though I still don’t know how to eliminate the “laser texture.” One of these pieces was finished with a wash to weather it, the others are flat gold coats. The weathered version looks pretty nice in person, though it’s clearly not cast metal. If I could defeat the laser texture problem, you could pull that off with a better paint job though.

But I am a bad nerd, because I mixed the badge design from the movie with the font from the comics. I do intent do build a font file for the movie’s type, though.

9 Likes

Honorable mention!

2 Likes

I want to know too…I have a large piece begging for jewelry and such. Would like to come up with something fun…but wasn’t sure what else to make with it…suggestions? https://www.inventables.com/technologies/black-and-gold-glitter-acrylic-sheet

1 Like

I would just hang on to it until inspiration strikes…:+1:

Put a 1/4" hole in it, sign your name at the bottom with :glowforge: , hang it on your wall and call it “Art”.

1 Like

Long ago in a distant land, Aku the shape-shifting master of darkness unleashed an unspeakable evil… But a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose him.

12 Likes

Nice! What material is that?

1 Like

Do I hear the Scotsman in the background?

1 Like

You can really create a nerd short circuit that way! Maybe toss Wolverine into the story while you are at it?

3mm B.B. ply

Try the normal medium acrylic settings. I think I normally cut my 1/8 inch using 175 speed and Full power.

(I’ve never had to change my normal acrylic settings to use the glitter stock.)

2 Likes

Excited at how well this is turning out. But who’s that handsome guy??

2 Likes

Pretty lame compared to everyone else here, but this was my first burn after the Glowforge ruler.

11 Likes

Great !
I’m going to have to do a full moon over mine with hare looking up.
I see it clearly, but frustratingly having to wait.
John :upside_down_face:

Not lame at all! It’s always fun to see all the different personalities translated by the Glowforge. You are on your way!

“But then I remind myself, ‘You can’t eat cats, Kevin… Kevin, you can’t eat them.’”

9 Likes