3D Engrave Leather

I don’t know of any experiments, but you can definitely do a 3D engrave on another material like acrylic and then use it to stamp the leather.

11 Likes

Is it enabled yet? I have never seen the option ungreyed…

5 Likes

This is probably a stupid question, but what happens if you do the 3D (or otherwise) engrave on the back of the leather, so that the front remains intact? Does the fact that there’s less volume of material behind the surface in some places help with tooling at all?

1 Like

:thinking:??? @henryhbk …can you do a screen shot showing the grayed out option button?

I’ve never seen a button for it - but I’m getting 3D engraving effects using the grayscale engraving on raster images. You pick an Engraving shade (light , medium or dark) and it actually carves deeper into the wood based on the color of the image. (Darker parts of the image engraves deeper, lighter parts engrave shallow.)

Do you have a separate grayed out button for 3D showing on your interface?
(I might be on a different interface with this PRU. Or I’m confused about how the depth engraving works…which would be more likely.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

11 Likes

I tried engraving leather (not 3D though). Yes, there was char. However, I sprayed the print with Fiebing’s Leather Sheen, and it set the engraved area and it doesn’t smear anymore.

This test print is only 1 by 1.5 inches. I can print it in a larger size (or a different image) and post it if you like. My guess is that the darker half of the image might be more detailed.

23 Likes

I don’t think that’s a stupid question at all–very interesting idea! On thicker leathers it seems like that might facilitate frontside operations.

Not enabled on my Pre-Release. Just a greyed out option on the manual engrave settings.

For forum clarity… Being able to do 3D and having the one button 3D engrave option is not the same thing. That option is not yet released. Similar misunderstanding that people were having with the parsing of automatic material thickness measurements. It’s an automatic measurement once but not continuous at this time.

5 Likes

Son of a Gun! Hiding in the Engrave options. (And it’s not like I don’t cruise past it every time I set the manual engraves either…it just never registered.)

Thanks Yves. Looks like there are even more wonderful goodies coming down the pike. :smile:

5 Likes

That turned out beautifully! :smile:

2 Likes

That’s been grayed out since the day I got the PRU…

3 Likes

The back side of the leather is essentially suede, so it’s got that shaggy texture. You can engrave it, but some of the detail gets lost in that fuzzy/shaggy texture. I have a piece of veg tan split that I engraved, and the result was just kind of meh. Will nab a photo later today.

Have not tried 3D engrave yet, because (as others have already said) the option is still grayed out for me. I know that @takitus has come up with some clever techniques for engraves, but I haven’t had a chance to try his methods yet.

Oh, oh, oh…wait a minute…I actually got to thinking…that grayed out “3D Engrave” button might be a holding spot for the engraving on the curved macs and phones and notebooks…(It’s damned confusing what the actual “3D engrave” function means, since there are actually 2 different 3D engraving functions performed by the laser) . That might be the one they intend to use to set up the templates for the various devices.

Too soon to get excited yet i guess. I’ll continue to experiment with the grayscale 3D engraving.

1 Like

Mobile devices will get ‘autodetected’ (al la method of proofgrade) the 3D engrave is specifically for greyscale depth maps. If even says so when you pick it with a raster loaded.

4 Likes

Excellent! Hadn’t tried that. Back to squee! :grin:

1 Like

I think you are mixing up three features here and interpreting what the Glowforge promises to do quite differently from me.

3 . 3D Autofocus

The lens moves as the laser travels, so you can cut & engrave materials that are curved, uneven, or irregular. Glowforge’s dual cameras measure the thickness of the material to a precision of four one thousandths of an inch.

I interpret this to mean the cameras scan the surface for depth and the head focus dynamically follows the surface contour.

4 . Recognize materials

Glowforge’s cameras recognize a variety of specially-coded materials, plus your iPhone or laptop for perfect settings without any guesswork. It also supports presets for other materials you use regularly.

This is image recognition to get presets for common objects. I don’t think it means it gets a 3D model of an iPad from the cloud for focusing on its curves.

10 . 3D high-res engraving

Engrave complex, three dimensional curves with 1,000 DPI resolution. To get perfect detail and sculpt with real depth, Glowforge can carve away material with multiple passes, each one focusing more deeply than the last.

I interpret this to mean convert grey scale to depth using a combination of dynamic power control, dynamic focus and multiple passes.

It has never been seen doing any of these things. This is why I think it is miles away from being what I ordered and you seem to think it is all but completely working.

1 Like

When I read 10 way back when I took it to mean the user is responsible for the grey scale bitmap and we’ll worry about vaporizing material because 1) it may be nonlinear and 2) we need to change the focal length as we go deeper. Also YMMV with natural materials and non-homogeneous synthetic materials.

It’s clear they aren’t there yet, but I do think they’ll get there: time to be determined.

1 Like

Yes I only expect it to be remotely accurate with homogeneous materials. If it is non linear then I can measure a gradient and make a correction curve, as long as it is repeatable. I have a micrometer accurate to 1um and I have various machines with Z probes that could automatically sample a gradient to a lesser accuracy.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve gathered that we had vastly different interpretations of what they meant when they offered the machine. Chuckle! :smile:

Eventually we’ll find out what they have in store for us. And in the meantime, the functions that have been enabled are doing exactly what they are supposed to do.

And it’s just going to get better. :wink:

3 Likes

I have to disagree here as well. For example cut and score over burn in the corners. The workspace is smaller than even the revised down size. Power control is not working properly. These are very basic things, not the revolutionary features.

1 Like