4 Slot Lightswitch Cover

With all the nods to @cynd11 and her original design I made a lightswitch cover to a) replace the ugly plastic one, and b) cover the hole in the plaster the original installers made :slight_smile:
Et voila!
Needs brass screws

It’s three layers deep, with a tinfoil back for fire-protection

Entirely made of Birch plywood from GS2 Awards.
The face is sanded and finished with tung oil/mineral oil mix. The edging is sanded, coloured orange with a marker, and then a mahogany polyurethane over the top to get me that deep orangy colour that looks fabulous.

:smiley:

Action shot!

46 Likes

That looks fabulous !

9 Likes

I was blown away by how long it took me to realize all the switchplate covers were white, builder-grade. I fixed that.
Very nice, the label makes it.

12 Likes

That looks great!

4 Likes

Oooo, very nice! I’m flattered that you liked my design. What I did about the screws is just painted them with some brass-colored paint (Vintaj Patina). Or you could try opaque acrylic markers.

6 Likes

Duh! I have Rub’n’Buff - that’ll do it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This looks awesome!

6 Likes

Really nice design. Thanks for the inspiration. I’m embarrassed to admit I mix up my light switches…labels!

4 Likes

Excellent!!!

4 Likes

Great job! Question: Is there a metal backing to this? Just wondering safety-wise. With having 2 uncles former lifetime firefighters, I feel obligated to ask. haha

6 Likes

It never occured to me the fire mitigation aspect, makes perfect sense. I always assumed it was to prevent snapping the bridge between the duplex outlets - mainly because I did that to one I had carefully crafted.

4 Likes

There was another thread where someone here who was an electrician and I were were discussing some other info I had found online about this topic. But I can’t find that thread. :frowning:

5 Likes

In her post;

4 Likes

I was thinking along the same lines. She said foil and that’s flammable I believe.

3 Likes

Another firefighter on here suggested that heavy duty foil does a great job for backing those, so that’s what I used :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The foil presents another barrier, which would give a few minutes additional resistance. Better than nothing… Wired correctly, there is very little possibility of fire danger in that gangbox. Most of them are a polymer, that is closer to fuel than aluminum.

7 Likes

I’d love someone to chime in to confirm if foil or something would work, like an electrician… (I think @brokendrum or @RyanD and I thought there were a couple other people. I cannot remember who it was that I was talking with in that old post, still can’t find it. lol)

3 Likes

As someone who has more than my share of “things that typically never happen” happen (LOL), I don’t play the odds. lol I was planning to make a switch cover with one of the UL approved plates as a backer.

5 Likes

Very posh. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow! Nice designs love the labels!

3 Likes