50$ a month for premium?

Going to look for a link to QAnon. Will study how conspiracy theories based on nothing other than emotion and a desire to rage take hold.

11 Likes

If that’s the case, I’m really peeved, because I am paying for the premium and I had the server issues, just like you did.

And as far as it being a slap in the face to have to pay for faster processing speed, have you approached your ISP and told them you want the fastest speed internet available, but you don’t think you should have to pay for it?
Let me know how that works out for you.

9 Likes

No, “bud”, we weren’t. Stop lying.

10 Likes

Nope. We were actually all upgraded to a faster cloud service a few months ago. (Premium will be an even faster cloud service on top of that, but honestly I doubt many people will even notice the difference.)

But they’re constantly updating the code that runs Glowforge and it looks like around September 24 they introduced a bug or configuration error that slowed things down. It took them a few days to get it fully fixed, but they fixed it.

Then yesterday there was a completely different problem which wasn’t even Glowforge’s fault: the Google App Engine (part of the Google Cloud service that runs Glowforge’s service) was broken for a few hours. You can read Google’s writeup of the problem here on the Google Cloud status dashboard.

Glowforge’s summary of the problem can be viewed on Glowforge’s status page. They also post announcements of scheduled maintenance there.

6 Likes

Lets define what PREMIUM servers truly is :

Go Ahead any takers ?

In this case? Almost certainly CPUs and GPUs with a higher clock speed and/or more cores. Pretty simple. But personally I think it was a mistake to use that as a marketing bullet point because most people won’t notice the difference anyway.

7 Likes

OMG…I was saying almost those exact words today to my co-worker. I don’t think Epilog laser or the other larger laser companies require all this crap! Thanks for the post :+1:

1 Like

This forum is on the Internet…just sayin’. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

That’s…let’s see. 0.0067% of all the machines out there. Yep. A strong statistic to base broad assumptions upon. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Dan has already done that. Go read his posts instead of making erroneous assumptions.

5 Likes

:rofl: (I’m keeping my responses short and sweet today)

3 Likes

I don’t know about you, but when I looked at the epilog, it started at 8k for a 30 watt system. I think the one I wanted from Trotec was 15k. They are quite out of my budget and require more space than I’m willing to give up. :rofl:

4 Likes

Premium services…
I love it, I get it and yet I hate it!!!

Here’s the problem, Everyone wants their pound of flesh. What premium gives us in Fonts and shapes is honestly what I was expecting the first time I connected to my new $4000 Glowforge, because it’s what any basic drawing app gives us even Powerpoint. Don’t take me wrong @dan , I do understand Glowforge need a revenue stream, but the kicker is everyone wants me in their revenue stream and I didn’t buy their product for this premium!

Peleton, Xbox, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple Music, Hulu, Xfinity, Adobe (Zero exageration there) and I know I forgot about a ton of others. On top of that those that aren’t subscription based services in the maker scene, want to be, enter Fusion 360s recent changes!

And so we reach ‘Subscripturation’, because as much as I want, need and would LOVE the basic level capabilities provided through ‘Premium’, I just cant take another monthly subscription 70% discount or not. and at some point that likely puts my Glowforge where my other ‘No longer subscribed to apparatus sits’ like my NordicTrack! (corner of the room collection dust), because frankly, its just not as fun as it was with the service. :frowning: Slightly gutted.

8 Likes

I love that. It needs to be in the dictionary.

4 Likes

When all the mods were down my throat about checking my machine, cleaning my machine , get a new password and even get a faster internet I knew Better >

Two Machines no matter how small decimal point give me the Power of Knowledge that you all certainly do not have at times,

I know when the machines updating and I know when the servers are down. That is Powerful and that is why I take the time to post.

TO HELP not be criticized my mods about cleaning the machine that is near spotless at all times.

So I dont care anymore how much the Fee is to run my glowforge anymore.

They can raise the rate to $100 a month , because i made my bed with these creeps and Im stuck. That is the truth.

There should have been a Grand Father Policy for all those in the beginning that hung in there.

There should be a huge discount for all those people that made millions of masks and ear savers

There should have been a break down of the Elements that you want to pay for.

But Ok im Excited for the Super Server I am on now , I wonder if it switched it over the minute my money hit the bank or if I have to wait months for this to take place, there is no way i will even know.
Screenshot 10-07-2020 22.20.46

1 Like

That’s the 2nd person in 2 days I’ve seen make the comment that “everyone” wanted a direct connection.
There are a dozen lasers out there with direct connections, have been for years, if that was so important why wouldn’t “everyone” have bought those? I certainly never bought one.
I bought this one because I know it’s always gonna get better, and never plan to live anywhere without internet service. I think people want all the advantages of cloud computing and local computing, and that doesn’t exist. Pick one.
and then if you want design services on top of the cloud computing, sign up for the monthly plan.
Easy peasy.

7 Likes

Hey im good bro I cant wait until they raise the $ 50 rate up ,

Just so you know its Only $16.19 and you get a Thank you.

And as an added BONUS you still get that fantastic side bar talking about Ear Savers.

You also get the extra special : No folders in your design box so you can panic as you look to get things done.

its wonderful over here in glowforge land. Oh did i mention how it snows when you pay. That is great to , just to many treats to mention .

I will let others express there Enthusiasm of the $50 rate and how lucky we are.

You must be great fun at parties.

14 Likes

If you aren’t going to use it for anything, just cancel the trial before the end of the month and it’s nothing.

Your machine is still going to work just exactly the same as it did before they offered the Premium Service, only faster, because everyone got a 2x server speed increase a few weeks ago. That is not going away and we don’t have to pay for it.

Something that probably needs to be explained…the Premium Service processing speed increase does not in any way impact the speed of the cloud or the internet or your wifi…and it does not impact how fast your job runs. We all got the speed increases on engraving raster images almost a year ago now …they are free, and we get to keep them whether we sign up for the Premium Service or not.

The processing time that speeds up with the higher rated servers is the amount of time that it takes between when you hit Print on a job, and the time that the button lights up on the machine. For really complex files that can take ten minutes or so…under the high speed servers, it’s down to about a minute.

If you aren’t running really complex jobs, or batch after batch, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t have the high speed servers.

If you run a business, and are cranking things out non-stop on the machine and every minute counts…that’s when you need it. The time savings can add up over a day.

In the future, if anyone wants to understand what’s going on with the development, read the Latest Improvements section in the Dashboard, and check out the Announcements section of the Forum just once a month. That’s where they update us on what is going on, and what the plans are as the machine improves. And now, that will include what the plans are for the Premium Service as well.

5 Likes