A fun description

I immediately thought of the word ‘snob’, too…but I needed to retain my sense of humor about all of it.

5 Likes

Amen!

2 Likes

Voice snob muahahahsha… (OK there are folks with quite annoying voices) :joy:

3 Likes

14 Likes

There’s something to be said about a flat-pack d-i-y assembled sofa when you’re in a 3rd floor walk up apartment.

7 Likes

We switched to an LG front-loader 5-6 years ago after getting tired of listening the whump-whump-whump of off-center loads. It’s designed with a bit of detent that will hold the door open just enough to let it air out (<1"). Far too small for our supervisory staff to nose their way into, but enough that we’ve had a mildew/odor problem. My $0.02…

2 Likes

We’ve had ours for a couple of years now, and I favor front load.
Pros - much less water.
Very gentle on fabrics. The old agitator actually wears on the fabric by friction. Front load tumbles the clothes, every cycle is like “hand wash”.
The top spin speed is crazy! Laundry comes out practically damp, much less dryer time (you just need a spatula to get your stuff out :no_mouth:
I notice the color in my jeans lasts about a third longer.

Cons - if you leave the door closed and use it less than say twice a week, it will develop a slightly sour smell. The large rubber gasket that seals the door has folds in it that trap a little water. I just leave the door ajar for a day or so to dry it out. (There is also a “tub clean” setting where you run a cup of bleach through the cycle.)
Because of the spin speed, the adjustable feet need to be set right or it will walk itself into the next room!
Requires that H.E. (high efficiency) detergent that is low sudsing. (But it does use less)
If your laundry is heavily soiled, like mechanics clothes, the agitator is much more aggressive, and would probably be a better choice.

My personal assessment is I prefer the front load because our clothes last longer, it is much more gentle on them.
Also that the dryer runs less, Saving time and energy.

3 Likes

This thread just reminds me that I can’t skim the forum here at Glowforge. You’ll miss the pivot from font to washing machines. (There’s probably two or three more right turns in there that I missed.)

15 Likes

Oh my, I tried to read this thread while talking with my wife and at least twice in got confused and thought I accidently moved to a different thread…
If a font is readable it doesn’t bother me.

We prefer a top load.

My family lovingly refers to me as a beer and coffee snob because I’d rather drink nothing if I can’t get quality. Though I never judge somebody else’s taste.

10 Likes

Nothing aginst flat pack. It is just that IKEA is the McDonalds of flat pack.

1 Like

Might be even more nutritious to eat IKEA furniture…

4 Likes

Whoops! Yeah that’s another point in favor of the top loader - I’m a delicate little flower, but hubs loves to roll around in the mud on weekends. (Mud, grease, grass stains, blood, fish smell, poison ivy sap which he actually passes on to me second hand from handling his laundry…) :confounded:

3 Likes

I noticed that, too. Maybe the transition between ‘font’ and ‘front’ (as in washing machine) were just too close for comfort.

6 Likes

Well, if you exclusively used Papyrus on the Glowforge, it would solve this problem. Banding in glowforge engraves Papyrus looks like this all the time! :smile:

BTW. I don’t mind Papyrus at all in this usage. Don’t get me started on all caps Gothic fonts though.

5 Likes

We bought a front loader, and I love it… but we wipe it down and leave the door open after use. Steam cleaning functions should do away with heavy grime, but almost never get used. Being able to stack the dryer on top was a huge point for us, because of space. It lives on a concrete floor in the garage, and has never wobbled or walked.
I can’t stand Papyrus. Overuse aside, I don’t like it for one very specific reason: it is a pain to weed it out of vinyl. All those little crinkles. :persevere:

6 Likes

Papyrus is a major pain to weed! I’m with you on that one. I have a customer trying to build a t-shirt brand around some simple sketches and short sayings in Papyrus.

4 Likes

Unfortunately I’m that way about scotch. That can be a VERY expensive bit of snobbery!

6 Likes

Not really proper snobbery unless you hold everyone to your standard.

5 Likes

I’ll take that as a compliment, if somebody truly thought I was a snob I’d feel horrible!:pensive:

4 Likes

I really don’t have too many pet peeves about fonts, other than underlined headlines in copy. I go ballistic. It should be removed from computers. Does it have a use any more?

I am that way about coffee, red wine, and beer. And I have given up on American whiskey. Just yesterday I got the green handshake after services. “Padre, buy yourself a good meal and enjoy it on me.” It went to a bottle of Laphroaig and a nice 7 inch Onyx cigar. Two hours of bliss.

9 Likes