A new look on dimensions

Something I’ve done in a desperate measure of similar circumstance:

Created a “Windows To Go” USB stick with what I needed, imaged it, stuffed it in Dropbox, then recreated it at the destination. As long as you don’t need special hardware to do your work, natch.

3 Likes

Check out one of the micro PCs - like the Ockel (the new one that’s crowdfunding has a screen embedded in a smartphone size).

(More useless restrictions. So many ways around the problem that making everyone give up their electronics is just stupid.)

end rant

That doesn’t work for our development environment (source code control doesn’t like being moved like that)

2 Likes

git should handle that pretty well. Might be murder on the merge coming back though.

No, the Glowforge must sit on top of the air filter to communicate properly with it. Also, the airflow is very precisely optimized, so any change in coupling length would cause problems.

There’s a prototype of it in the original launch video - we’ll show more of it in the future.

4 Likes

We don’t use git, but subversion on an in house repository. Healthcare apps that handle patient data, etc make people nervous to host things like encryption keys outside the firewall, and git didn’t exist when the application I wrote existed, and transitioning an entire build chain’s tech with millions of lines of source code for very little gain seems pointless…

1 Like

been through 4 in house source code control product changes. It’s a nightmare but nothing compared to lack of discipline by the people using the tools. The how should code be formatted wars while a good laugh now still bite the company trying to determine the source of historical changes

1 Like

How about LogMeIn? Remote access where I can make full use of my work computer from my cellphone.

Have been addicted to their service for years now. Pissed that they are removing Cubby, which currently allows me to have the desktop and a few other folders be 100% identical on the 5 computers I semi-regularly work from.

1 Like

I have full remote access via our hospital VPN to my development machine, but working virtually on a dual 27" high-dpi (5K) display via remote access is painful to say the least. I do it, when it’s critical, but really suboptimal… I also have full network access via the VPN to my source server, dev deploy server, etc. They don’t have every port open, but all the ones I need… Our IT guys are really good, and in general really try to help rather than say no.

2 Likes

I stopped using LogMeIn when they forced casual users like me (I only usually need it to troubleshoot my Mom’s computer remotely) to go Pro for like $99/year. Now I use Splashtop for $17/year and it does everything I need. It’s actually free if you are staying within your own LAN.

3 Likes

Yeah, the removal of free is when I stopped pushing the service to all my friends and family. But I have 40+ computers to run at work, so I put the price on my budget and stuck with the service I know.

3 Likes