A simple dodecahedron

Hey there, I’m Mick.

So, @pubultrastar makes a lot of polyhedrons, and his signature style is that they’re held together with screws into 3d printed connectors/vertexes. I have wanted to try to tackle that in a purely laser technique for a while now, and I finally got to it.

I chose what I thought was “simple”, but as it turned out it was pretty tricky. I won’t go too far into it – @pubultrastar probably knows exactly where I ran into problems – but I think it turned out nicely.

Baltic birch and 200 M3x8mm screws. Each vertex assembly is made of 17 pieces (probably overengineered!) and then there are a total of 110 faces, so the total parts count is 450 wood pieces and 200 screws. It was a bear to assemble because I cut it with very tight tolerances and, as I said, probably overengineered the connectors.

Anyway, I’m pretty happy with the end result, glad to have finally gotten to this project. The screw aesthetic is pretty cool, I’ve always admired Pubultrastar’s projects.

44 Likes

Mick looks so STRONG!

2 Likes

I really am trying to understand

4 Likes

Okay, I can’t figure this one out. Why is his name Mick?

2 Likes

So cool. Obviously tricky to engineer that. Love the open shape and the look.

4 Likes

It doesn’t look that simple to me. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Mick looks strong enough to put a flat piece on stop and make him a table or a stool!

1 Like

not following the banana scale rule, but the GF lid fills in nicely.

I can see where those joints would be a lot of “fun” for you. This is one of my favorites so far.

Looking forward to what you do next.

4 Likes

I always look forward to meeting another of your dodecahedron family:-). Way beyond my comprehension but cool to look at!

2 Likes

Delightful!

2 Likes

Each one is more fun than the last. I really love seeing the screws. Very, very cool!

2 Likes

Mick has rectangular and triangular faces in addition to the pentagons. He’s not an Archimedean solid because the rectangles are not squares, but if they had been, Mick would be a rhombicosadodecahedron.

3 Likes

Like so!

2 Likes

indeed!