A warning for those considering a GF based business

Well, if it wouldn’t start, that was a temperature issue, so at least you know it was working.

Is there any way you can air condition the air…we use Central AC here, and keep the temperature in the high 70’s for the Pro model…if you wanted to keep trying to extend the life of the Plus units, you would need to get the temperature down to a stable 71° or so. It’s downright chilly.

I can’t see the temp sensor being effected by humidity unless it is actively condensing on the sensor itself. It may be useful to collect temperature and humidity information for the room the machine is in and inside the machine while not in use.

High humidity is definitely an accelerator of unreliability. If the GF isn’t being used in an environmentally controlled workspace, that may be a key contributing factor. Humidity accelerates corrosion, particularly for the contacts in connectors, of which there are plenty on the GF.

4 Likes

This is interesting to read, considering all the flak I got for warning business users about basing their business around a hobby level machine without a backup or a backup plan.

It sucks that you have had this many failures and I am really wondering how the temperature plays in to this, and as mentioned, humidity. While I haven’t used my Basic unit nearly as much as anyone else, I also don’t use it if the room is more than 78 degrees and 45% RH. Thankfully living in Arizona makes the temperature the only challenge. I have had only a few cooling pauses. My machine is well over a year old and is a warranty replacement due to a misaligned head.

I totally understand this as the GF previous owner.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I’m apalled by this number of failures both in the printers that we’ve sent you and also in how we’ve taken care of you through those difficulties. I’m talking with other leaders and drawing up a list of things we could have done better in supporting you – improvements are on the way!

Right now, I’m finishing up reviewing the open email threads that we have with members of your business and I’ll respond with solutions shortly.

Since this forum discussion seems to have quieted and the details will be managed in email, I am going to close this thread.

7 Likes

I just wanted to add in that Rita brought this to my attention as well, and I’m shocked. We’re going to both make sure we do right by you, and review our process to see how we got here to avoid this from happening to everyone else.

Thank you for letting us know.

9 Likes