Acrylic color fill with acrylic

I’ve been making lots of items for an upcoming show. One being quick simple earrings out of clear acrylic.
Etch the design and use inexpensive craft acrylic to color fill. I used cast because I had scraps…this looks way better using extruded since it etches clear…colors are more vibrant.

A few drops…

Use a straight edge to run across and take off the extra so you get a full cavity even fill.

Having abit on it is completely ok.
Let dry completely…if you are impatient like I am, use a lower power heat gun like for embossing to dry it in a few minutes. Dont get too close or the paint will bubble…

Since the craft paint is alot of water, you are left with an opaque thin coating.

Now get a piece of cloth like cotton jersey (tshirt material) dampen it and stretch it on your flat edge.

Rub the edge flat back and forth on the surface. This will remove the excess paint without touching the color fill.

Peel off the backing. See the difference between front and back…

Now make it into earrings.

79 Likes

Love it! Until @makesomething 's video, I never realized we could paint acrylics!

It turned out fantastic! :grinning:

6 Likes

I figure its been talked about before but many people are visual…so they can now SEE it…

7 Likes

Is it still water soluble after it dries? Because that’s amazingly good for something so simple to get at your local crafts store…

7 Likes

I like how you used the straight-edge too - to keep from gouging out the color in the pits. :+1:

3 Likes

So basically intaglio…

I can think of a lot of things to do that way.

Once the paint is dry can you add another color?

4 Likes

No, most water based paints will still require a little stronger solvent to break down after it has dried, like denatured alcohol.

6 Likes

cool thanks, idea swirling in brain now…

4 Likes

Since these are earrings and will most likely not touch anything…I’m not worried. But generally acrylics are tough when dried…if you soaked it in hot water, it might lift…its like a plasticy film once dried…

3 Likes

You have to be carefull when doing multiple colors…since you are filling this front to back…what ever color you put down first will be the one that shows…
I was playing around with a set for myself…took a thin paint brush and filled the black…let dry then color filled the red and green with the method described originally. Since black is really opaque, the color fill didn’t come through so it stayed black…

29 Likes

Just make sure your fabric is taught or you can still gouge…lol

4 Likes

Maybe stretch the fabric out on the table instead, and wipe the pieces on the flat surface?

4 Likes

16 Likes

I clearly have Alzheimer’s. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::unamused:…I do remember that post now…Did you use craft acrylic?? Thats color fill from the front? How has it held up with moisture from the glasses??

4 Likes

Well, apparently I do too, cause I totally missed the painting with acrylic part.

Or maybe it just didn’t register at the time.

I remember those results though.:smile:

3 Likes

I used the same stuff I use in my airbrush. Badger brand. Held up fine after a couple parties.

5 Likes

Badger and Createx are higher quality than what I was using…got lots of that hanging around but the craft stuff is $ 0.88 a bottle…lol

3 Likes

Thanks for this! I’ve watched YouTube videos from the manufacturer on doing this. But it’s GREAT to see a real actual human person doing it. Seems like the process really is just as they describe.

I wonder if you could use some Liquitex Pouring Medium with the acrylic paint? Then you can use an eyedropper and let it self level. The eyedropper wouldn’t work for smaller details but it is a starting point.

The earth tones were done with pouring medium and then tilting the canvas around to let the colors mix and spread. The medallion was done with acrylic paint mixed with water.

Combining techniques might same some cleanup time.

7 Likes

This is awesome! I am going to try to use the two-color acrylic if there is any proof-grade brand.

1 Like