Acrylic slump bowl with PG glass green acrylic

First off, my thanks to @davidaspitzer and @marmak3261 for sharing the details for doing this. This is a process I was intrigued to try out… called a slump bowl…….which is actually quite ugly sounding. I made a circle design and used Glowria to cut it out of 1/4” thick glass-green acrylic. Centered it over the upturned bottom of a ceramic coffee mug without a handle, then set it on a cookie sheet, put it into the preheated grill on our deck… at about 300-325 and let it be for about 30 min, checking in on it every 10 min. After 30 min, I inverted a small stainless steel bowl over it and very slowly and carefully pushed it down to make the sides fold downward. I left that bowl on it until it was cooled off.

It’s about 4.25” across. Not flat on the bottom because of the bowl I used to put over the top to form it. There are some imperfections, but I think it turned out really cute and fun. It’s deformed in several places, so I will call it a 'deformation rocker bowl’ or maybe a ‘roly poly bowly’ instead of a slump bowl. So, while it is imperfect, it points to other possibilities.

78 Likes

Great work and another reminder that I have not yet scratched the surface of what we can do with these things.

6 Likes

WOW that is pretty neat!! TFS

2 Likes

Arrrgh! New inspiration just as green glass acrylic is once again out of stock (except for the tiny size). I definitely will order next time it comes in. I really like the effect of the glassy look on all those curves!

3 Likes

Love that! (It’s just begging for a handful of Hershey’s Kisses for the munchkins to raid when they visit.) :grinning:

8 Likes

Yes! But, that’s about it…a handful. This thing is very small.

2 Likes

You might be able to blame Jules and I for that…last time they got it back in stock, she and I went whole hog on ordering. I’m hoarding mine and treating it like gold.

7 Likes

that acrylic is so epic-ally thick - how thick is it?

1 Like

Yep! (Not sorry!) :rofl:

2 Likes

That really came out beautifully!

As mentioned in the OP, it’s regular :proofgrade: Green Glass Acrylic, so it’s ~1/4".

1 Like

The ideas and procedures just amaze me. Again all I can say is WOW!

2 Likes

Looks good.

2 Likes

Yep…me neither. :grin:

3 Likes

So neat! Did you happen to take a picture of it pre-slumping? Interested in seeing what kind of layout you used to have the sides end up with such nice spacing.

2 Likes

Very nice!

Definitely need to keep my eye on the glass green being restocked. Placed three huge orders for material before year end, so haven’t thought to check again.

3 Likes

I vote for roly poly bowly! It’s awesome and now i want one.

3 Likes

Thank you. No, sorry I didn’t think of it until afterward. And, your eyes are deceiving you…thats where the deformity came into play…when I gently pushed the stainless steel bowl down over it to create the sides, it was slightly a kilter…so at least two of the ‘petals’ or whatever they are, overlapped one another just enough to deform one side. To have done it evenly would have taken some great skill. Frankly, the entire bowl is out of whack and I know it’s difficult to tell in the photos, but it gives me incentive to figure out a better way. This is what my design looks like in my app;

My mind is buzzing with ideas for more of this kind of process.

16 Likes

Instant pot? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Xabbess, tell us about the stand the bowl is on. Did you make it? It looks amazing too. Do you have any full pictures of it?

2 Likes

Thank you. It’s not a stand actually, but an LED light.