So I’ve wanted to make an address plaque for our house for quite awhile. We are at 1511 but often our packages go down the street to an unoccupied house at 1517 - pain in the butt.
After doing some research, I settled on an art nouveau theme I liked and fonts that were legible enough, and made this out of MDF. The wings were cut around the perimeter and engraved in each cell. The dragonfly and letters were glued to an uncut piece of MDF, along with a double-walled “border.” There were then a few rounds of painting with reactive copper metal coating, and spraying with a couple different patinas… and then repainting by hand the “highest points” (aka body of the dragonfly) to bring out the contrast between the patina’ed and un-patina’ed copper. Pretty happy with how it turned out!
A side note: initially I tried to cut out the wing cells but it was just too much, and they burned to a crisp in the process because of how detailed the design is, so I re-did with a deep engrave. It took longer, but the end result is much sturdier.