After I Set Focus then Print, My Engrave Doesn't Come Out Where I placed It

If ultra precision is required, just use a jig. That will guarantee perfect placement every time.

3 Likes

How would a jig eliminate the artwork jump?

Your artwork isn’t really jumping, it just isn’t printing where you think it will. If you use a jig, it will print in that spot every time. Say you were making a circle keychain with a word in it. In your design, you just make the circle a separate color from the word. When you get to the GFUI, you put your jig material down (I usually use posterboard card stock, or draftboard). You set it to ignore the word and cut the circle. Once it cuts, you remove the cutout portion. (Make sure the sheet itself does not move. It should be pinned down). Then you put your circle keychain in the hole left in the sheet. Set the circle to ignore and engrave the word. It will be perfectly as designed every time. I usually do an entire sheet of the design, and then make dozens of perfect designs at a time.

4 Likes

But if my artwork is moving when I engrave won’t it move when I try to hit that circle? It’s printing about an eight to the right of where it should be so it doesn’t matter if the board is stationary or not. When I try to set my keychain in the hole it’s still going to print to the right or off center. Maybe I’m not understanding how you’re doing this, sorry.

What you are missing is that it isn’t shifting. Once you make a circle, if you don’t move it, it will print that circle exactly in the same place every time. If you have artwork inside the circle, then it will print that artwork in the same place every time. Whether that is where you think it is going to print or not. If your keychain is the size of the circle, and you put the keychain in the hole that the machine cut on the first run, then it will cut the artwork on that keychain relative to where the circle cuts, not where your camera shows. You are getting hung up on whether or not it is cutting where it is supposed to. Don’t worry about where it is supposed to, if you use a jig, it cuts where it cuts, and it cuts there every time.

4 Likes

Look at this post. It describes what is going on with a jig. If they can hit a pencil every time, you can hit a circle every time.

2 Likes

1/8" is clearly within the specifications that Glowforge supports for its visual alignment. If you cannot live with 1/8" variance, you must make a jig. The outline of the jig and your artwork are in the same file. Your artwork is aligned to the jig outline. When you open your file in the Glowforge interface you first cut the jig outline while setting your other artwork to ignore. Next step is to remove the material from that cut and place your keychain in the void. Ignore the cut line, set your keychain settings and hit the button. Don’t move your material and don’t move the artwork.

3 Likes

Ah ok I get it. The only problem is I never print the same thing more than once. Names and phone numbers. That’s it :frowning:
This has to be that same image over and over right?

You would place the keychain in the same cutout and then input the next name and phone to replace the previous name and phone.

1 Like

Keychains were made up for the sake of the discussion. I don’t make keychains and I don’t cut my projects out of a bigger piece of anything with the GF.
I get it now but a jig won’t work for my needs.
Thanks anyway.

Sorry this wasn’t helpful. For precision placement on items not from Glowforge (Ikea spoons, bottle openers, knife blades, flasks, etc.) jigs are the easiest answer.

1 Like

I appreciate the help, but I make something completely different. Every item is a different thickness because it’s a natural material.

You’re thinking logo on spoons. Think logo on white bread.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been having trouble with the alignment of your prints to your designs. The best way to determine how your printer is operating is to run our standardized test print.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Check for small pieces of debris or dust.
  • Check the lower door to make sure it closes all the way. It may require some force to open, but open it, wipe any dust off the edges, and close it all the way.
  • Remove the tray and clean any dust or debris from the surface underneath. Pay careful attention to remove all debris from the four dimples where the tray rests.
  • Check the lid to make sure it closes all the way. Small particles of material, such as dust or debris, can prevent it from closing completely.
  1. Check the surface your Glowforge is on to make sure it’s flat. Ensure it is not twisted slightly and that there is no debris propping up one side of the machine.
  2. Turn your Glowforge back on.
  3. Place a piece of Proofgrade material in the center of the bed and print the Gift of Good Measure using the default settings.
  4. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates. Without moving your artwork or your material, take a screenshot of the Workspace to show us the difference between the artwork placement and the actual print placement. Make sure to include the rulers in your screenshot and show as much of the bed as possible.
  • Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.
  • Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.
  1. Post the screenshot along with the date and time of the print, and we’ll continue to investigate.

You can do a different kind of jig, essentially setting a zero point. Cut a right angle piece, note the placement in the GFUI. Either pin that right angle piece in your GF as a marker or put down tape marks so you can always get it back in the exact same spot. When you put in your pieces, place them in the right angle piece. In your artwork include the angle piece in different line color so it can be ignored. Your artwork will cut/engrave accurately relative to the angle piece, regardless of what the camera view shows you.

As long as your print head hasn’t been moved or bumped while on (or other mechanical failings, of course) GF’s numerical placements always cut in the same spot.

2 Likes

That is well within specs (1/4"/6mm.)

1 Like

Thank you Chelsea for the reply.
This was printed at 11:06 - 11:10am EST on 12/14/2020

EST 12/14/2020.

That would be unfortunate :frowning:

• Wide Angle Camera — Mounted on the lid, provides a view of the entire printable area, accurate within 0.25" (6mm)
1 Like

Your Glowforge uses a wide-angle camera to take a picture of the material in your Glowforge. In the app, you drag your design into place where you want it on the screen. When you’re done with a print, if the print is more than ¼” from where you placed your design, you may have an alignment problem.

The closer the material is to the camera, the bigger it appears on-screen. Most alignment problems come from the material being closer or farther from the camera than expected. The actual print should always land within ¼” of where you put it.

In the photo you’ve attached, your Glowforge is performing within specifications! Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.