Air Filter Latest

My delivery estimate has not changed. Should I presume that is intentional?

Do you actually have the tooling? Have you shot it yet?

Yes.

I’m afraid we don’t share that level of production detail.

It really is unfortunate that this keeps being pushed out. I get the QC driven re-engineering, interruptions in supplier(s), need for new moulds, etc. all having a ripple effect, but as a large number of people have mentioned, usability is quite low, since there is no filtration. Some have rigged various solutions, including directly venting toxins out their windows, but that’s not sustainable and devalues the Glow Forge considerably. You have a cutting device you can’t use for safety and environmental compliance reasons. We’ve looked at a number of stand alone roll-up filters that we can install to pull away the vapor waste, but they are expensive and frankly, we’ve already spent that money, which is in escrow with Glow Forge.

In this thread, there’s a promise of an interim solution, shipping in October. I may have missed it, but the month is past and gone, but I did not see anything about the interim solution. Could we please get an accurate estimate on the proposed filter that is filling in for the real filter? If the new delivery dates for the ‘ideal’ are middle to end of Q1 2019 (makes me think Q3 at best), then perhaps this is an area that Glow Forge considers refunding this portion of your backers orders, so we can purchase from another partner and therefore, have the opportunity to properly use our laser cutter. I suspect a real look at the liability created by people cutting without proper ventilation, is significant and I don’t see any credible answer coming from the Glow Forge team, which only perpetuates the problem for everyone.

1 Like

FRUSTRATED! Please - if anyone has any further insight on the filter situation, please reach out to me ASAP. GF and @dan announced that a 3rd party partner would be announced in October. I see no follow-up. I am about to spend over $6000 to get an industrial filter for our school - the community here has lost all patience for the smoke.

PLEASE reach out to me directly! Howard - howard.levin at sacredsf.org, 415-292-3181 with any near immediate filter purchase suggestions.

A few days ago @dan updated the first post in this thread with the following new information:

So it looks like the alternative solution won’t be available until December. :frowning:

Unfortunately there’s no guarantee that anyone at Glowforge will see this. They don’t read every comment on every thread. It’s best to either email support@glowforge.com or create a new topic in the Community Support section of the forum (which they do read).

2 Likes

I spent a tenth that and it is pretty industrial in ability.

So did you ever figure out a hose?

A 4" hose comes with the Glowforge. you can just wire it close to the ten inch opening and pick up almost all, and the extra would still clean out the room.

Even when I get the official filter ( and send my GF in for refurbishing) i will still be using the other for any sawdust or other smells that may be at issue. I also picked up a 200 cfm fan to try and get the GF smoke outside (it is only partly successful) that will be put to use with any saws or sanding machines I end up using.

1 Like

Has there been an update on ???when??? we can hopefully expect to receive the filter system? This has certainly been the norm with this purchase. Hopefully sooner than later. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

We have horizontal swing windows at our school. It’s not as simple as sliding the window up and blocking out the opening with cardboard and feeding the hose through a cutout.

Do you think if we just drape the hose outside of the window from without blocking out the rest of the window that will be fine? We only want to cut wood (bass) at this point. Any thoughts would be great!

That’s what I do. But it kind of depends on what your prevailing wind is.

you may be able to find a piece of thick, but soft and flexible, foam and cut it to fit the window–maybe with a slot to fit over any portion that swings in or a second piece to block the top half where hit opens above–and a hole for the hose. even if it doesn’t block everything that could come back on the window, it would block the majority of it.

4 Likes

I’d block the window as best you can. Something as simple as a sheet of plastic or tarp tacked into place is going to keep most of the smoke from blowing back in, and will probably make it a lot more pleasant to work with. And it’s temporary. Maybe you could even work something out with magnets.

1 Like

With a tilt/casement window you can totally throw your hose out the window, but you may get blowback. I’d suggest either getting another fan to put at the end of the hose to really push the smoke away - OR if you’re willing to put in some build time you could make a pressure frame for the inside of your window

Yours certainly wouldn’t have to retract like the one in the picture, but using thin wood/acrylic (if you wanna see through it), then cut a hole the size of the hose, and when it’s time to run the :glowforge: pop that into the opening

Fingers crossed for you!

2 Likes

You could use that tape on,heat shrink film plus some foam…?

I put off making a proper vent for a long time. I finally cut a hole in my house the other day, and let me tell you, I wish I didn’t put it off. It is SO much more pleasant to use the machine.

If cutting a hole isn’t in the cards, take some of the advice in this thread and find a way to make the window more well-sealed on a temporary basis. It’s worth it.

4 Likes

I put in a piece of 2" foam and covered it with aluminium tape…
IMG_20181116_094512

1 Like

I’m a bit frustrated at the inability to get a response in regards to our air filter order. We received our Pro on 8/20/18. I made the purchase through our Corp Purchaser. All account association would be through my purchaser. She’s in San Jose and I’m in Massachusetts… I’ve made 3 requests for an update over the last 3 weeks with only the automated response that Glowforge is busy with requests etc… If I need to do any cutting I move the machine to an un-alarmed door so I can safely vent. I realize it’s probably a busy time of year… I just need an update which will show in my account…

1 Like

I’m a Day Two (September 25, 2015) purchaser and my estimated delivery date is currently January 30, 2019. I don’t have a sense of how wide the spread of those dates is for later purchasers.

Glowforge has been more forthcoming than usual about the current source of delay – the filter design needed a tooling change – but refuse to say anything about how that is going other than to say “everything’s fine”. If past performance is an indicator of future results, that means it’s about time for them to move my delivery date back by another two months.

1 Like

It is my guess that everyone in a country with many obstacles will find that they have a very short spread based around such breakthroughs as getting UL certification or other hoops, If I had put off getting my Glowforge till they got the filters out I would still be waiting well over an extra year instead of the three months expected at that time. Bird in the hand and all that, I am so glad I did not wait.