Air Filter Latest

So what is the latest ETA? Last I saw was September. Now the filter isn’t even on the website as an order option now. I don’t have one on order, so I would need to order when they are available.

We never expected the GF to be profitable. It’s more of a way for us to create things as gifts and tools and toys out of materials instead of paying Amazon or their ilk hundreds of dollars for crap stuff that will break quickly wrapped in blister packs.

Now please excuse me while I go pay Amazon (or their ilk) hundreds of dollars for stuff to make my GF work better. :laughing::cry:

5 Likes

Which filter? The original, glowforge filter that sits under your laser? Mine is Halloween and I received the second known Pro unit, so presumably that is the current ETA.

If you want the portable air filter they are selling, the one that sits on the floor by your glowforge, email support. I don’t recall if they can ship it outside the US. I also don’t recall the last reason given why this one isn’t in the store, but my guess is something to do with production supply.

Aren’t they in the middle of switching storefront providers?

Think that’s the rumor currently. Supported by job openings I believe.

3 years 6 months waiting for my filter. 42 months. Decided go with the Compact Filter option.

1 Like

ohhhh thats a huge inline fan, I just added a 4" one. like yours, I love overkill.
I was waiting on the filter, guess I should have been using my GF instead of it just sitting here

2 Likes

I ended up opting for the alternative external filter that GF offered which honestly has been amazing! So I’ve since eliminated the inline fan.

I stunk up the house last night so I guess my inline fan isn’t as efficient as I had hoped :frowning:

The inline fan has to have more CFM than the forge itself, or you’re likely not doing much to boost the air out the window… I made that mistake - got a fan that’s not ‘fast’ enough - so that plan is on standby at the moment…

Where in the system are you placing the pre-filters?

I just set it right on top of the filter inside the unit.

2 Likes

interested in knowing more! been coughing a bit since I tried cutting out neoprene

@dan You mention particulate is what clogs the filter when using draft board, how large is the particulate? I know in my dust collection for my wood working tools I’ve got a cyclone separator in front of my shop vac that drops the large particulate and they claim 95% of the dust. Would one of these make any improvement to filter life? It makes a huge difference when doing resawing cuts on my band saw which produces endless piles of very fine sawdust.

Dust deputy

This one is designed for sawdust, so it’s probably not a good fit for the size particulate laser cutters make, but a difference sized one could be optimized for the different particulate. A tighter cyclone would spin faster giving a higher force to throw the particulate out. Multiple smaller cyclones might be needed for proper airflow, look at any modern bagless vacuum cleaners, like dyson.

I guess it all matters though on how large the particulate is. Do you have any measurements on particulate size?

2 Likes

I don’t know, I’m afraid. I think the particle size varies, with some larger and some smaller.

Well sure. And I’m also sure that engraving versus cutting will produce different sizes. I just know that cyclones can be good to about 5 microns when properly sized. I just didn’t know if laser particulate is around that size or smaller.

1 Like

A very big difference between sawdust and laser smoke is not about the size of the particles but the fact that sawdust is not soaked in glue. the smoke is covered in the liquid crud of evaporated wood tar that will stick to anything, so I would expect that a cyclone would build up pretty quickly. However even a pretty open pre-filter would benefit from the issue that would be bad for the cyclone as particles that could bounce their way through would stick at the first bounce.

1 Like

Any updates? My new home doesn’t have a convenient opportunity to vent outdoors, so my :glowforge: is just sitting waiting for the filter.

4 Likes

There have been a number of alternatives discussed

I have the BlueDri and the biggest issue is connecting the 4" hose to the 10" opening (12" outside) the Pullman would need a much larger square connection and is more expensive. The extra volume of air might be lost in making the connection.

Hi does anyone know if we can “clean” the filter? I work at a school and its lasted all year, with very heavy usage. However im in the middle of a project and all of a sudden smoke everywhere. Where can I buy a replacement? This is urgent.

Replacement filters are sold in the Shop, in the Spare Parts category. (You might want to keep a spare on hand, no idea how long shipping takes on the replacement cartridges.)

https://store.glowforge.com/collections/spare-parts

1 Like