Anyone engraved their MacBook yet? (like in the promo video)

Nothing Scotchbrite pads couldn’t fix, at least that is a maybe. :slight_smile:

I manage a fleet of Mac laptops at my day job, and we’ve got a lot of dead ones available. I’ve received permission to use some for testing, so I’ll be giving that a go once my shipment of dry moly lube arrives. settings advice welcome :slight_smile:

Since polished unanodized aluminum is highly reflective of IR, does anybody worry that when you get through the anodized layer that you’ll reflect the beam up into the head and melt some plastic?

news?

Not yet. I have my Glowforge, but it’s in my office at work and I was out sick for two weeks, then had the week between Christmas and New Years off. I should get to try layering some MacBooks soon, though. :slight_smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

Chuckle! I see Mumford is getting top billing. :smile:

1 Like

Lolol.

Hi. I just got glowforge and am beginning to learn the community’s language. Could you point me to reading material or help me understand what “short the laser” means?

I haven’t done my first print yet. Just learning about how to do it on Macbooks first.

Thank you for your time!

Hm… Is there a reason you chose 340 liens per inch as opposed to going higher? Image show looks like it’s mildy…“pixelated”. I just got my glowforge today and still gathering my bearings. Appreciate your insight. Thanks!

I think he just meant he’s got everything ready except he doesn’t have a laser yet.

1 Like

I should have gone higher but I had to be at work. Haha. Looks good in person.

Here’s my two at 99 power, 1000 speed, I think 250lpi.

12 Likes

Hey - this looks great!

Did you have to remove the honeycomb tray to burn these? I’ve measured my MBP at 0.7" but can only punch in 0.5 inch.

Thanks so much

Pete

It wants the thickness of the material above where the crumb tray would be. So you need to lift the material so the surface will be between 0 and 0.5 above where the crumb tray would have been. There are several riser designs on the forums. Some 3D printable, others you can make with the Glowforge.

1 Like

Or just be like me and stack scraps of proofgrade…

3 Likes

Raiding the Lego box worked for me😀

1 Like

Proofgrade scraps? I’m disappointed, I expected spare organs or at least organ facsimiles.

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant the crushed hearts of my enemies which I tore out still beating of their cowardly chests… (I try to only have enemies whose hearts can crush down to around 1-1.5” in thickness)

4 Likes