Anyone have a good Test Template?

Anybody have a good template for a material test burn to check power/speed settings on new materials? This is an incredibly handy tool, and I’m surprised I’m having such trouble finding one on here…

Thanks so much, fellow 'Forgers!

• Jeremy
1 Like

You may find the search feature helpful (the magnifying glass in the upper right). Try entering “test pattern”:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=test%20pattern

7 Likes

Thanks! I was searching but I was using “Test Template” and other terms… didn’t know “test pattern” was the official terminology. Check & Double-check! Thanks for the heads-up!

1 Like

Nothing’s “official” – just different words for the same thing. Keep in mind that you will have to manually program in all the power and speed settings for whatever pattern you choose in the GUI, as there’s no way to preprogram them.

2 Likes

Here is an oldie but a goodie New material cut test method

5 Likes

I made one, but it’s only for engraving, and takes forever to set each setting. I bet you could simplify it before hand though.

Cermark Test

6 Likes

I like the small one @evansd2 uses, because it takes such a small amount of material. You can find it by clicking on #6 in this post:

5 Likes

I’m still amazed Glowforge hasn’t made a built-in test process. We’ve been asking for years.

Then again given how slowly they develop useful features for the UI maybe I shouldn’t be amazed anymore.

2 Likes

Because they would rather you buy Proofgrade? :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Yup.

They pretty much don’t do anything that doesn’t do one or more of the following:

• Drive subscriptions
  • Sell proofgrade
  • Sell designs

Which is too bad, because it seems to me that if they really made the usability top-tier then they’d get more buzz which would lead to more machine sales (aka positive externality). I’m sure someone at GF with far more information has thought of all of this and the smart economic decision is to act like they’re acting now. It’s just disappointing that after all this time there are so many little features ripe for the picking and there seems to be no drive to make them.

I will say that although it pains me to admit it (because I have zero use for them) the design tools are probably smart thing for them to put a lot of effort into. It enables large groups of people who just don’t have the tools, experience, or abilities to make their own designs (see above, re: positive externality). This is smart and low-key anti-ableist. I grumble about it because I want more technical features, but I’m sure far more people benefit from the design suite than would benefit from an automatic material tester.

But… like… come on, GF, make the material tester. Throw us a bone here. (He says to no one in particular)

4 Likes

This level of detail is what I’m looking for in mine. I’m trying to get set up to print on PLA+ and running into material issues.

1 Like

I’m not sure these will pull up properly, but these I think are the ones I exported from the interface after setting each color to engrave in order in the interface.

Cermark Test
Cermark Test Low speeds

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.