Are any of the fonts in Glowforge single-stroke?

I’m wanting to add text from Glowforge to a design to score. Are any of the fonts in Glowforge single-stroke?

2 Likes

No, but someone made one on here - let me see if I can find it…

So neither are quite as easy as a straight up font, but they do exist :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Inkscape usually comes with a Hershey font extension which allows the creation of arbitrary text strings using a “single stroke” font. Such text can be “scored” instead of engraved—much faster. I find that “simplifying” (Ctrl-L) the resultant text “vectors” usually gives a more pleasing result. :sunglasses:

Hint: Search here in the forum for “Hershey font” or take a look at this Webpage…

4 Likes

Are you using inkscape 1.0? Hershey was majorly upgraded with several fonts and support for curves.

2 Likes

No, the intrinsic nature of fonts makes this nearly impossible. However, @bill.m.davis made and freely shared this awesome generator with the community:
(No inkscape or other software required)
Text2Vector (Free Vector Text Generator)

2 Likes

@evansd2: Thanks for the tip. Gotta’ finally switch to 1.0 under Windows. I have it installed but still am not using it!

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” plus “I don’t like different”. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yep, the 1.0 Hershey is quite good.

I find it irritating that you have to create the text in Inkscape first, then convert it, I preferred the old method of typing straight into the plugin. One day I’ll tweak the plugin to allow that.

Note there are both single stroke and multi-stroke versions of the text in the new Hershey plugin.

2 Likes

Here is a simple tool I made to make labelling easier: Text2Vector

You can type in the text and then press the “copy” button and paste it straight into the :glowforge: UI or add it to your own SVG in the editor of your choice.

6 Likes

Hey that’s brilliant. Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.