Aura burned white head ribbon cable

Perhaps this is beyond the manual but just to let folks know what’s going on with my Aura.

I was very careful it testing my cutting of cardboard. When I thought I had it right I let loose on a pencil jig. Then I stopped looking. Bad choice. Too slow cutting made embers that started a fire. I was alerted when an overheating error popped up. Totally on my. Bad mistakes all around.

It seems to be limited to just the white iron on cable. The carriage belt looks good so does the head. It was a fire that started and concentrates in an area where the head wasn’t going.

The machine boots up and does the homing routine. So not all is lost.

So I opened the lid and top. Two screws and a couple internal clip tabs. Watching where stepper cables were connected and disconnected. Managed to extract the white ribbon cable to the head.

I do believe I can replace it myself if I just can get them to send a new cable.

17 Likes

Oh no!
Very sorry this happened to you. It also serves as a lesson to others to continually watch these machines when in use!
I really hope that they’ll be able to send you a new cable.

9 Likes

Oh, that is sad. :frowning:

7 Likes

I sure hope they will send you one, Marion. It’s not like you haven’t been around long enough to know so much…even if you did have this accident.

7 Likes

A replaceable ribbon cable, now THAT is an upgrade.

11 Likes

Hope they can get a new ribbon cable off to you quickly.

5 Likes

For those interested, here is a decapitated Aura. The head white ribbon cable has a magnet that keeps it stuck to the horizontal slot in the middle of the back. There is a bracket that directs the lid camera cable and the head cable over to the control board. Fairly neat and efficient design.

7 Likes

Ok. I posted another request for help. If I don’t hear back from Support by 5:00 PM tomorrow I’m going over their heads! Otherwise I have this giant paperweight that would be instantly transformed into a working laser with a simple white ribbon cable!

3 Likes

The support submission request think is jacked up. I have a brief flash of red text in the fields like there is an error and then not support request is documented in my account. I have the original communication about receiving an Aura in there but nothing else.

3 Likes

Sounds like an issue that @emilyhuh would want to know about since that’s definitely a customer experience killer.

1 Like

Thanks @jamesdhatch Checking with our Support Team now, so appreciate you letting me know!

@marmak3261 I have the Support Team looking into this, so thank you for your patience!

3 Likes

Jon and Brian contacted me so the support train has left the station! Thanks so much.

7 Likes

Great to hear! Hope your Aura will be up and running soon!

2 Likes

It was RMAed so I reconnected everything and repackaged it and am arranging the trip back to the mother ship. AuraGlow, I hardly knew ye. But there’s more where these come from.

It was a bit fiddly to get the ribbons all reconnected. I assume they’ll figure it all out. Let’s hope it’s just a ribbon cable and it can be refurbed. Repacking went very well. It all just kind of falls together right and the instructions for repackaging were very clear.

Now I have that off my list. And looking for packing tape I found my long-lost 3 inch wide Gorilla tape roll that was practically brand new. Yay! Was wondering where that went for the last two years.

Forcing myself to do this practical thing and hope it all goes well. Glowforge Made it easy. Thanks @Ara

8 Likes

I’m not sure I like that you have to send it back, but glad to hear it was a smooth process. Are they going to send you another one, I hope?

4 Likes

Yes they are going to send another one even though I don’t deserve it.

10 Likes

Oh, Marion…of course you deserve it. You deserve it as much or maybe even more than some people who have done something similar. I hope you won’t continue to feel that way…none of us here sure do.

7 Likes

Hi what setting did you used?

The wrong one! Way to slow for handling the exhaust for cardboard oriented the wrong way.

5 Likes

Would you up the speed and lower the power? I’m asking because I want to make a pencil jig out of cardboard on my aura. Thank you for your response!