Autoclose makes this forum unusable

So I realize we are trying to prevent necrothreads, but autoclosing a gajillion threads on the same day makes the unread somewhat useless in @discourse

2019-04-23_14-22-05

6 Likes

Indeed…

1 Like

it would be great if there was an option to silence notifications for closed threads… Because I just don’t care…

2 Likes

Yeah… The first few I found to be odd. Kinda going “Wait. I read all of these a LONG time ago.” But then it got downright annoying so I opened that case. Nothing to be done about it now, it seems. You’re better off than I at the moment. I’ve got >1,000 more than you at this point. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What’s particularly annoying was I dismissed all the unread, which means I lost all the current threads that were actually being updated by humans…

2 Likes

That sucks. Could be some interesting stuff there. Maybe we can get @Jules to start doing Weekly Highlights again. :wink:

Me, I don’t care anymore. I haven’t been a Regular in months 'cause, I’m pretty sure, Glowforge is mad at me. So I’ll re-read some of the old threads. Some of them are still pretty interesting actually as I’ve been going through them. If I ever cach up again, good for me. If I don’t, good for me. :wink:

2 Likes

I’d suggest someone post to Discourse. This is a flaw in their system. A closed notification shouldn’t add to the unread count since there is nothing to read.

3 Likes

I tagged them above…

2 Likes

They no longer monitor @discourse (now watch them pop in!).

There’s much hate and discontent in meta-Discourse land over this feature.

4 Likes

Hehehe, “Feature” you say, that’s a kind description! :rofl:

2 Likes

I was super frustrated we did this to you all - wholely unintentionally, of course. There was a window of threads that didn’t have auto-close but were ancient and untouched for many eons (well, months). We had no idea that bulk-closing them would, effectively, re-activate them!

I just took the painful step of dismissing all unreads, because at this point, it’s the only way to make it useful again. I reluctantly suggest that everyone else do the same.

4 Likes

I needed to do that anyway, looking at 14,000 plus unread - so it really wasn’t a problem for me. I read all the new and any I get replies to, but there just wasn’t enough time to keep up with it all. My, how this place has grown! :no_mouth:

3 Likes

6 Likes

Huh, weird. I guess I kept up with stuff? I only have 152 unread…? Dunno how that happened.

1 Like

If last Thursday and Friday you didn’t have several thousand unreads then I would check your settings. One minute I had zero unread and the next there were 700, then I spent a couple hours clicking every one to get down to zero and two minutes later there would be 900 more. Continued like that for two days. After they added another 1900 I gave up and dismissed them.

Down to zero unread again with 378K read posts.

3 Likes

I have over 5k of them. How do you dismiss them? :woozy_face:

If you click on New or Unread at the top (where it shows the number), a screen will open that lists them out, and there should be a Dismiss button on the right at the top.

2 Likes

Thank you. That got it. It’s kind of disheartening to have that many unread .

1 Like

Oh, we all had them…they were re-runs. (We’d seen them before…it was that batch thing.)

1 Like

I don’t have as many either. I obviously have things set differently, but I’m not looking. I don’t want to feel compelled to read every single post and reply, and I totally would if I were notified of them!